Is Studying Online the Right Choice For You?

Posted on August 4th, 2017 by Rachel Rollins

In today’s world students are choosing to study online more than ever. With this growing trend to study from home how do you know if it’s the right choice for you?

For answers we have created a Study Online section to help you make the right decision! Our Study Online section will show you things to consider before studying online, how to choose an online program, what you can expect from an online program and how to apply to an online school.

Things to consider?

There is a lot of value for students that choose to study online but there are also some drawbacks. Some of the advantages of studying online are:

1. Saving money! Tuition for online schools tend to cost less than traditional on-campus schools. You will also be saving money on room, board and commuting cost because you’ll be studying from home.
  2. More time! While there are due-dates, for the most part you decide when to study.

Although saving time and money are important to all of us, there are also a few disadvantages such as missing out on a traditional US college experience and meeting new friends.

You also have to consider if you have the technology and equipment available to study online. If you have an older computer you may have trouble completing your courses, or if your major requires you to be in a lab there may not be online courses available for you.

It’s a big step deciding to choose an online school, here is a complete list of all the things you should consider before deciding if it is right for you.

How to choose?

There are a lot of different types of online programs out there, and it can be a bit overwhelming to know where to start. In our Study Online Section we’ve listed numerous steps and things to consider while you search for an online school that’s right for you.

One of the most important steps is making sure that you choose a quality program. Be mindful that some online programs that you find might be scams. Look into when the online school started, their relationships within the educational community, and check with employers and alumni to see if the online program meets expectations. Also, you should always make sure that the school is accredited. An accreditation acts as a seal of approval that the school is legitimate and respected. Find out how to navigate your way to choosing an online program here(link).

What to expect?

Studying online is a very different experience than studying at a traditional on-campus school. One of the biggest changes is that you will not be learning in a classroom setting but rather your home or an area with internet connection. Although the environment and structure are quite different you can still expect weekly assignments, exams and student interaction along with instructions from your professor. From the start of class your professor will send you a class syllabus that will explain expectations and  instructions on how you can navigate through your online class. Through student forums and group projects you’ll still have access to connect with other students in your class who are studying from around the world! Like any class you can expect that you will have to put in time and effort to receive credit.

Here is a list of what you can expect from an online program.

Start Applying

Now that you know you want to enroll in an online school it’s time to start applying. Luckily, applying for an online school is pretty similar to applying to a traditional school. It actually might be simpler because you will not have to worry about applying for a student visa. Keep in mind that some online programs might want to do a video chat interview, so be prepared and practice with a friend before your interview. During the interview you may be asked questions such as how do you plan on balancing schoolwork with your daily responsibilities or why do want to study online?

There are a lot of things to consider and research if you’re thinking about enrolling in an online program! We hope that with our new Study Online section you have a better idea if this is the right choice for you!

Written by Rachel Rollins

Marketing Coordinator Rachel joined EIC in 2016 after graduating from the University of North Florida. Her engagements at her campus, and community have only influenced her to continuously learn and understand her surroundings and beyond.

One Response to “Is Studying Online the Right Choice For You?”

1. International residential school Says:

It’s a wonderful blog. I had this confusion whether to take up a course online or not, but you have given the right solution. Thank You.