Sign in to Your Account Done
Forgot account info?

Don't have an Account?

Register Now!

International Student
Study In:

The International Student Blog

Resources to support incoming spring semester international students

Posted on December 13th, 2023 by International Student

Studying abroad in the United States may seem like an overwhelming challenge, especially if your preparation falls during the holiday season. Here are a few essential partner tips and resources to consider as you start your exciting life as an incoming spring semester student.

Visa support

Before you begin your education abroad, you’ll need to get an F-1 student visa. Visa requirements vary by country and require applicants to be prepared. 

The visa application process can be daunting and confusing for new students. That’s why there are plenty of resources online to guide you through the process. Additionally, many students prefer to delegate their visa application process to a trusted agency such as Argo, which provides professional assistance in securing F-1 visas.

Whether you choose to handle your visa application yourself or outsource the help, thorough preparation and a clear understanding of specific requirements are key.

Career navigation

Attending a university in the U.S. seems like a dream for many international students, and you may also want to get a job. Your first step should be securing your work authorization as early as possible. 

As an international student, you’re eligible to work on campus without a permit. Available on-campus jobs usually can be found on your school’s portal. However, if you decide to work off campus, you’ll need to obtain Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization. CPT authorization requires that you have a job offer before obtaining a permit. Luckily, in the digital era, finding available jobs can take minutes. A good place for international students to start their search is Zip Recruiter. It  also offers valuable tips and advice for job seekers across the U.S.

Building a career in a foreign country can be a time-consuming process. Therefore, it’s better to develop a plan and start taking action before arriving in the U.S.

Housing assistance

Moving to a foreign country is both exciting and challenging, especially when it comes to finding a place to live. As an international student, you may choose to live on or off campus. 

On-campus housing may mean sharing a room and a bathroom with someone else. Some colleges also offer apartment-style dorms with individual rooms and a shared bathroom and living space. The upside of living on campus is convenience to classes, and the downside is limited selection and high demand among students.

Off-campus housing offers more flexibility and choice for students. As an international student, you can find a host family with whom you would live with during your studies. It’s a good option for individuals who want a smooth transition into a new culture. Many new international students choose StudentRoomStay to match with a local host family. It provides comfortable accommodations and seamless integration into the local community.

No matter whether you choose to live on or off campus, it’s important to be safe and like where you live.

Make the most out of your time in the U.S.

Going to college in the United States as an international student is a unique experience, from navigating the visa process to planning for a career. 

Remember to approach each step with patience and diligence and embrace the process. The team wishes you a successful and fulfilling adventure as you embark on your studies in the U.S.

5 Responses to “Resources to support incoming spring semester international students”

  1. Nimra Says:

    I have been admitted to MS SCM and looking for financial aids/funding opportunities. Please let me know if there are any

  2. charmonewallace Says:


    Thank you for considering for a student loan. Remember, you should first secure admission to an eligible school; view our list of eligible schools here: After that, use our loan comparison tool to find a lender that fits your needs, comparing interest rates, terms, and eligibility:

    Next, you’ll need a U.S. citizen or permanent resident cosigner meeting the lender’s criteria. With a cosigner, you’ll provide additional documents like enrollment proof and income.

    If a cosigner isn’t an option, look into no-cosigner loans available for international students:

    Best of luck with your studies!
    – The International Student Team

  3. Salihu Onimisi Aliyu Says:

    I am very happy if this opportunity was giving to me

  4. Molder JOSEPH Says:

    My name is Molder JOSEPH, New admis English as a second language at the Kent State University, Spring 2024 ( visiting Student / 9nternational Student)

    My Visa process is sthrungling to succed due to the Américan Ambassy kiss Haïti is clossure, right now only way a Student or someone Can go to the United States by Américan Program Humanitarian parole : i would like to you to take step that may facilitate me to the Kent State University !

  5. charmonewallace Says:


    Thank you for your question regarding the affidavit of support for being sponsored by an individual not residing in the US.

    While we cannot offer personalized advice on this matter, there are resources available that might assist you in understanding the process and requirements.

    Student Visa in USA:
    F1 Student Visa:
    J1 Student Visa:
    Preparing for the F1 Visa Approval Process:
    Visa Options After Graduation:
    Student Visa Preparation:

    Please remember to consult with an immigration attorney or a consulate official for the most accurate and personalized advice for your situation.

    Best of luck with your application process!
    – The International Student Team

Leave a Reply

Get the International Student newsletter!