Whether you’re looking for a tourism internship in the US, Brazil, Japan, or Spain the benefits of an internship are the same! Below is a list of the top five reasons why participating in an internship is a smart choice for you!
- The first reason why internships are great is because they can separate you from everyone else. Here is an example for further explanation: You’re applying for a creative marketing position at a well-known company in New York. It has come down to you and another individual and both of your degrees and credentials are very similar. Luckily, you completed an internship with a marketing firm your last semester at school and they gave you a good recommendationâ€¦so guess what? You’ll probably get the job! Internship experience can be invaluable to some companies when looking for new employees; you’ve already got the experience their looking for which gives you an edge in the application process!
- Another reason why internships are great is because you don’t have to be an intern at one specific age! There is no rule that says you have to be a graduate fresh out of college to score a great internship; you can be anywhere from a high school senior to a graduate studentâ€”it does not matter for some internship programs. Also, the younger you get started the more internship experience you can build.
- Networking is another huge benefit of participating in an internship. Connecting with people in management positions while you intern for a company can lead to future jobs, clients, and if nothing else, some great recommendations!
- The location of an internship can be an added bonus to your interning experience. You can choose to participate in an internship in a big, exciting city, a quaint coastal town, or maybe in an exotic locationâ€”it’s up to you to decide! By interning in an unfamiliar setting you can expose yourself to new places, cultures and lifestyles you would otherwise not have known.
- An internship teaches you things you cannot learn from a text book. Interning for a company gives you the opportunity to truly observe and experience what it is you’re studying. This might be one of the biggest benefits of an internshipâ€”where else can you get experience outside the classroom like this?
So these are five reasons why internships are great! The list could continue on, but these are some of the main benefits of a tourism internship in the US. Now that you know why you should participate in a tourism internship in the US, go out and find one!
*Hotel concierge photo courtesy of Shutterstock