Earning an Engineering Degree Online

Posted on June 14th, 2023 by International Student

Did you know that remote learning first surfaced on college campuses in the 1980s with the advent of new technologies? Before the 21st century, this new education model was known as “distance learning.”

Online, or virtual, learning has since become the norm over the past several years. Due to the demands and needs of students, institutions now offer two pathways to earn a master’s degree: online asynchronous and synchronous classes. 

What is the difference between Asynchronous and Synchronous Classes?

Understanding the differences between asynchronous and synchronous classes is important for any prospective student. This will enable you to determine the best learning environment for your master’s level education as each student is unique in how concepts are processed and understood. It is important to note, however, that both asynchronous and synchronous class groups are given ample opportunities to connect with their professors one-on-one and join their classmates at networking events.

Asynchronous learning includes any education, instruction, or learning mechanism that does not occur in the same place or at the same time. Therefore, asynchronous classes are not confined to the classroom or a specific schedule. With asynchronous online degree programs, there are no live lectures. Instead, students can access and view instructional materials at their convenience each week through school-sponsored online software. For instance, learners can access pre-recorded lectures on their course’ website and post any of their follow-up questions on a course message board. Although students must complete quizzes, tests, and assignments within set due dates, the schedule is more self-paced.

For students who will also be working and prioritize flexibility, it’s a convenient learning style. With asynchronous learning, the student dictates their learning schedule. While they still need to complete assignments within a certain time period, students can access and review materials whenever they choose. Synchronous classes are learner-centered, removing the challenge of time (and locale), students more ownership of their schedule. This is a big shift from the traditional learning style and meets the student’s needs through total empowerment.

A drawback of asynchronous classes is the lack of live group discussions. Message boards and other discussion platforms exist, but live conversation and verbal exchange are not central to asynchronous courses.

Synchronous learning refers to any form of instruction or education that occurs simultaneously but not necessarily in the same place. In the context of an online program, synchronous classes are live, remote, and abide by a set semester schedule. Students are expected to log in and participate throughout the week at set times as class discussions take place in real time. Synchronous learning is considered the more traditional learning mode and is preferred for course progression.

Many students feel that this is the best of both worlds. They benefit from interacting with their classmates and instructors “live” in the comfort of their own homes, offices, or wherever they choose to participate. It is the perfect blend of traditional learning and flexibility. For instance,  students can log in wherever is most convenient, collaborate with others, and engage in deep discussions with their peers and professors. They can also fine-tune presentation skills in front of a live audience and get immediate answers to their questions.

Types of Online Classes at Johns Hopkins University

Earning an advanced degree has never been more convenient with virtual learning. With so many students balancing work and families, online programs now make students the true navigators of their ships. For instance, Johns Hopkins University’s Engineering for Professionals has offered online graduate engineering courses since 2001. Understanding the importance of different learning styles and preferences, the program’s busy students may opt for one of these types of courses in lieu of an in-person program:

• Virtual Live (synchronous)
  • Hybrid (a mix of asynchronous and synchronous)

With more than 20 graduate engineering programs, students can earn a master’s degree in engineering from top-ranked Johns Hopkins University fully online. There is a vast selection of asynchronous and synchronous course delivery options led by experienced professional engineers and renowned faculty. Take a look at the programs they offer and learn more about how you can start your master’s journey from your home country.

8 Responses to “Earning an Engineering Degree Online”

1. Hridoy Mondal Says:

I am writing to request financial aid for college. My father remarried when I was eight years old and did not connect me and my mother, so I have been raised primarily by my mother, who is a tailor. My mother’s income is modest, and she has been unable to save for my college education.

I am a hard-working student and have maintained a high GPA throughout high school. I am also involved in many extracurricular activities, including the debate team, the student government, and the drama club. I am confident that I have the academic and extracurricular qualities to succeed in college.

I am aware that my financial situation will make it difficult for me to attend college without financial aid. I am grateful for any consideration that you may give to my request.

2. charmonewallace Says:

Hi there!

Thank you for your interest in getting a student loan through InternationalStudent.com.
    It’s important to note that you should apply for a loan after being accepted in an eligible school. https://www.internationalstudent.com/school-search/usa/

Once you have been accepted in an eligible school, you can use our loan comparison tool to find the best lender that meets your needs. Our comparison tool allows you to easily compare different lenders based on their interest rates, loan terms, and eligibility requirements. https://www.internationalstudent.com/international-financial-aid/

3. Pastor Mrs. Chinyere Nwachukwu Says:

I need flight.

4. charmonewallace Says:

Hi there! You can check out InternationalStudent.com for flight deals. https://www.internationalstudent.com/travel/student-airfare/

5. Robel woldemariam Says:

I am writing this request to get financial aid for college. My father remarried when I was 2 years old and I have been raised primarily by my mother, who is an accountant.But she was paid unsufficient payment from government institutions. My mother’s income is modest, and she has been unable to save for my college education.

I am a hard-working student and have maintained a high GPA throughout high school and college.

6. charmonewallace Says:

Hi there!

We are delighted to inform you that we have lenders available to international students studying at approved schools in the United States or Canada. We also have loans available for U.S. citizens/permanent residents who are studying abroad.

To get started you can use our loan search tool to find a lender on our website. https://www.internationalstudent.com/international-financial-aid/

Please be aware that each lender has specific requirements. To ensure accuracy, kindly verify these requirements with each individual lender.

If your school is not on the eligibility list, it means that we do not have a loan available at that school currently. If you would like your school to be added to the eligibility list for the loan you want to apply for, you can take a few steps. First, you can contact the lender directly to see if they can assist. If that’s not possible, consider other loan options available to you. You can also explore other financial aid forms, such as scholarships or grants.

7. Johannes Says:

Hello. I am trying to find funding so I enroll in fully online courses in the US and I have never been there, is there any funding available?

8. charmonewallace Says:

Hello,

Thank you for considering InternationalStudent.com for a student loan. Remember, you should first secure admission to an eligible school; view our list of eligible schools here: https://www.internationalstudent.com/school-search/usa/ After that, use our loan comparison tool to find a lender that fits your needs, comparing interest rates, terms, and eligibility: https://www.internationalstudent.com/international-financial-aid/

Next, you’ll need a U.S. citizen or permanent resident cosigner meeting the lender’s criteria. With a cosigner, you’ll provide additional documents like enrollment proof and income.

If a cosigner isn’t an option, look into no-cosigner loans available for international students: https://www.internationalstudent.com/loans/no-cosigner-loans/

Best of luck with your studies!
    – The International Student Team