Students Rally to Save International Week

Posted on March 4th, 2010 by Jennifer Frankel

International Students at Texas A&M University are rallying around to save their “International Week” which they hold each year to celebrate their cultures, traditions and show their identity to all students on campus. This year’s International Week was canceled due to logistical problems with the International Student Association, however despite these problems a group of international students have banded together to put on “International Day”

“International Week is a very important event in which we are able to
show our identity and show it off in a good way,” said Ana Monson,
president of the Guatemalan Student Association. “It is a chance to
teach our fellow Aggies and other international students about our
culture.”

Instead of “International Week”, students will now be celebrating “I-Day” on April 12th where there will be cultural displays, shows and events to celebrate the diversity of international students studying at the university.

“It’s important to the international community that we take the time to
display their hard work and effort over the years,” said Zach Gibson, International Student Association Vice President of Advocacy. “For a lot of the organizations, it is the main event and what they work for all year long. The event is especially for the newer groups that are still growing and recruiting. It’s important to do something together and for the student body. This is a way to grow and to give back to the student body but also to receive and gain new members.”

To learn more about this, and to read the full article, please visit the Battalion online.

Are you an international student at Texas A&M University, then let us know in the comments below how you will be celebrating the new I-Day.

7 Responses to “Students Rally to Save International Week”

1. sunrisedatacare Says:

http:// coomararunodaya.com

2. Scott Nelson Says:

A couple of days ago I posted some information on my blog about International Week at TAMU. Later that day I discovered your post about the Week.

My family and I have been involved in a home-based ministry to international students at A&M for 13 years, mainly Mainland Chinese. We’re in the process of trying to develop a non-profit organization that will provide us with more time to engage students.

Thank you for high-lighting the effort at A&M.

Regards.

3. Save International Week « international bible fellowship Says:

[…] April 7, 2010 Save International Week Posted by Scott Nelson under Cross-cultural Missions, International Students, Missional, Uncategorized | Tags: International Awareness Week, Texas A&M University, The Association of Former Students, The Battalion | Leave a Comment  After my April 5 post on International Awareness Week at Texas A&M University I discovered a post on the event on the “International Student” blogsite. You can read the post here. […]

4. stone37 Says:

Instead of

5. marocup Says:

merci bouceaup…

6. Kole Lysen Says:

Hey this is somewhat of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML Im starting a blog

7. Kerrie Phuma Says:

But one more intelligent blog Completely cannot wait for far more