Sign in to Your Account Done
Forgot account info?

Don't have an Account?

Register Now!

International Student
Study In:

The International Student Blog

International Student Taxes

Posted on February 14th, 2008 by Jennifer Frankel

student taxes

Filing and completing your international student taxes is not one of the most glamourous things to talk about, but for nearly all international students this is something you have to do! Nearly all students studying in the USA will need to complete at least one form – and for some of you (if you have worked and received an income) you will need to complete more than one form to file your taxes.

Luckily, is here to help and make your life easier. We now have a great online tax filing system that is easy to understand, will not break your bank balance and you can be complete in under 30 minutes (sometimes in as little as 10 minutes).

So who needs to complete a tax return and what do you need to do?
Form 8843 – Must be filed by ALL international students present in United States to exclude the days of presence from the Substantial Presence Test.
Form 1040NR-EZ – Must be filed by all international students who have received any type of U.S income other than interest received from U.S. banks and credit unions.
Social Security and Medicare Taxes – International students nonresident for tax purposes are NOT subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes. If your employer has withheld Social Security and Medicare tax in error, you can apply to get a refund for the taxes withheld in error by filing Form 843 and Form 8316.

How do I complete this?
Completing your taxes is very easy – all you need to do is work out what forms you need to complete (if you have any questions about which forms you need to complete you can call the IRS for free who will help you) and then use our online system which will ask you all the right questions and enter the details you need. The system will then put all this information onto the right forms for you to print off and mail to the IRS.

For more information about your international student taxes, and to complete them today please visit:

3 Responses to “International Student Taxes”

  1. smithcoles Says:

    thats nice its very informative and knowledge site wow great thanks

  2. Education Says:

    That sounds quite easy then thanks. I figured there was so much more to all my student finances. Now I need to just find out more of what can be written off to save me more money. Thanks.
    Great site

  3. Rory Phomsoukha Says:

    Hello just thought i would tell you something.. This is twice now i’ve landed on your blog in the last 3 days hunting for totally unrelated things. Spooky or what?

Leave a Reply

Get the International Student newsletter!