Universities in the US have so many different opportunities that it can be hard to narrow down what you want to accomplish while studying abroad. One of the opportunities available to international students in the US is research for undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral candidates. As the world of research continues to grow and flourish, more and more opportunities have become available at both public and private US universities. We want to make sure you know all about participating in research at a university as well as an excellent research university located in the Southeast US.
What is a Research University?
As you shop around for schools, you’ll find out that a lot of universities in the US advertise research opportunities. What does this mean? It means that the university has dedicated funds and staff solely to research efforts. Research can be conducted in a variety of areas from technology to science. Each school’s research mission is different but, in general, the goal is to further conversations around a topic and to innovate new ideas and concepts. Generally, at research universities, there will be less emphasis placed on instruction and more emphasis on academic studies and discoveries.
Benefits of International Student Research
There are lots of benefits to conducting research as an international student. Here are just a few of them:
- Gain skills and experience: You should be thinking about building your resume and doing research is a great place to start.
- Discover what you love to do: There are many different areas of research that you can participate in. Explore all the options and figure out what you like best.
- Be a part of discovering new ideas and solutions: Participating research means that you will be exposed to new ideas and discoveries and you may even do so yourself.
- Scholarships: Many research universities in the US will provide scholarships and professors might even pay you for working as a research assistant (RA).
Research & Innovation at the University of Arkansas
One public US university that conducts research is the University of Arkansas (U of A). The Office of Research & Innovation at U of A has a mission to support, enrich, and facilitate intellectual and creative efforts through various areas of research. The three signature research areas at U of A are:
- Advancing the Data Revolution
- Improving Human Health and Community Vibrancy
- Innovating for a Resilient and Sustainable Future
These three areas are specifically designed for interdisciplinary research across U of A’s campus and aim to advance technology to improve lives in Arkansas and beyond.
Additionally, U of A is recognized by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education as an R1: Doctoral University, which means it ranks in the top 3% of US research universities based on its research activity. The Office of Research & Innovation at U of A welcomes international students to participate in research opportunities as long as they are compliant with their visa regulations.
No matter what school you decide on, it’s definitely worthwhile to explore research opportunities as an international student because these opportunities can be valuable to your educational experience and your future. So, consider participating in research in the US!