Celebrating Black History Month

Posted on February 10th, 2020 by Connor Blay

February is a very special month in the United States because this month we observe Black History Month. Black History Month is a tradition put in place to celebrate Black American historical figures and events. It all started in 1926 and was limited to one week in February. Since then, it has evolved into Black History Month as we know it today. The first celebration of Black History Month occurred in 1970 at Kent State University and has been officially observed by the US government annually ever since. The UK, Canada, and Ireland even joined the celebration shortly after with the Canadian government officially recognizing February as Black History Month. 

2022 Theme & Background

Each year, Black History Month has a new theme. The theme of this year’s celebration is Black Health and Wellness. This month will be dedicated to the legacy of Black health care professionals and Black health care professionals who are currently working hard to combat the affects of COVID-19. Unfortunately, Black people are subject to discrimination in public hospitals and other mainstream health care facilities. Throughout the course of history, mutual aid has been prioritized as a way to provide access to health care spaces that are specifically designed for Black people.

Ways to Celebrate as a Student

There is no one specific way to celebrate Black History Month but here are just a few ways you can celebrate:

1. With a club/organization on campus: Student-led organizations on campus will be having events all month long. Check them out!
  2. Support Black-owned businesses: This is something you can do year-round, but especially during this month. Do some research to find Black-owned businesses in your community.
  3. Learn about Black history: A lot of important Black history never makes its way into textbooks. Challenge yourself to learn something you didn’t know before!
  4. Support Black art: Whether it’s going to a local museum or buying a Black artist’s music, show your support.
  5. Join the conversation: Engage in the conversation about race to get educated.

However you choose to celebrate Black History Month, it’s important to recognize the significance of it. Acknowledge cultural figures and events but most importantly enjoy yourself and have a happy Black History Month!

Written by Connor Blay

Connor joined InternationalStudent.com in November 2019. He received his Bachelor’s of Science degree with a major in Information Communication & Technology at Florida State University in Spring 2019. Having recently completed his undergraduate higher education, Connor has a fresh perspective on how the process works and is passionate about helping international students through it. His background includes customer service, social media, and video production.

No Responses to “Celebrating Black History Month”