Hangout Recap: What to Expect When Completing a College Application

Posted on December 29th, 2015 by Bryanna Davis

completing college apps hangoutIf you missed our hangout on what to expect when completing a college application here’s a sneak peek at the information that was covered. During our Hangout we were joined by special guest William Velez from Chemeketa Community College. At Chemeketa Community College, William is an International Admissions and Recruitment Specialist, and provided great insight for international students on what to expect during the college application process.

First and foremost, be realistic about the number of colleges you should apply to. Having too many or too few can hinder your chances of making your dream of studying in the US come true. Keep in mind that each college application will take a lot of time and typically have an application fee. To ensure that you don’t put all of your eggs in one basket, or on the opposite end of the spectrum, run yourself ragged trying to apply for twenty schools, it’s typically advised that you choose 3-5 colleges or universities to apply to.

After you’ve narrowed down your list of which colleges you want to attend, start by going through the application without actually applying. This will prepare you for what to expect during the application process and allow you to gather each of the documents and pieces of information you will need to have when it comes time to actually apply. Create one document to keep track of what you need for each application to ensure you stay organized and submit everything that’s needed, on time. A few items that you might want to include on the document include: college name, application fee amount, if it’s a paper or online application, the day you submitted the application, important links and notes, and additional items that you will need to gather for the application like your TOEFL scores, SAT score, a declaration of financial support, a copy of your passport and your transcript.

During the hangout we took a look at three applications from different colleges and universities. Here are a few key pieces of information and pointers that were addressed.

• Each application will be different, going through the applications before completing them will give you a good idea what to expect, and allow you to know what you will need in order to fully complete the application, and prepare you to answer each question to the best of your ability.
  • If an essay is required as part of your application and you’re given the opportunity to choose your own topic, it’s highly suggested that you write about a topic of your choice rather than an assigned topic.
  • Applications can be either online or paper, ensure that if it’s a paper application you give yourself enough time to fax, email or mail the application in before the deadline.
  • Don’t shy away from listing a special hobby, award or talent simply because you think the college will not be interested. Now is the time to share as much information as possible on why you’re great and should be accepted into the college of your choice.

If you would like access to all of the information that was covered during the hangout, including a comparison of three different sample applications, make sure you watch our hangout on What to Expect When Completing a College Application.

No Responses to “Hangout Recap: What to Expect When Completing a College Application”