More than a Degree: The Benefit of College for Future Communications Careers

Posted on August 16th, 2015 by Gabriele Hickman

gradsMost students attend college to complete one goal: graduate with a degree. Although the main focus of college should be graduation, there are many things that students miss while in college and don’t realize it until after graduation. College gives more than a degree, providing students with growth intellectually, socially and emotionally while teaching students skills that will help them in the workplace. When it comes to an undergraduate degree in communications, the benefits of college are particularly present.

Networking

In college, international students will be able to meet people they would not have had the chance to meet without college. With campus career fairs, internship opportunities, competitions within the communications major, media events, scholarship opportunities and more, it is easy to get your name out there. Networking is especially important for finding a job in future communications careers because trust and network goes a long way in this field. Attending networking events at your college and learning how to use social media sites such as Twitter and LinkedIn will help make your undergraduate degree in communications more worthwhile.

Training

Communications students receive additional benefits during college through the unique training opportunities they receive. Students are able to work hands-on in news stations, press rooms, advertising agencies and more. The experience that communication students are offered in college helps them understand the career world and develop skills that will be needed after graduation. Working at a campus newspaper, radio or television station will help journalism students better develop their skills while also building a much needed resume and portfolio. While still earning a degree, advertising and public relations students can create advertising campaigns and promote a company or organization on campus- just one more example of the many opportunities for communications students to develop career expertise while still in college.

Rejection

One of the benefits of college (along with getting your degree) that most undergraduates don’t think about is the rejection they will have to face. Since rejection causes momentary discouragement, it’s rare that communications students will see rejection of a campaign strategy, a news article, or a camera angle as a positive outcome during college. However, since the field of communications also holds with it negative responses to ideas and projects, students who learn how to deal with rejection while in college have a better chance of not giving up when future communications careers reject them. Rejection in college can give the student a sense of persistence and confidence that someone trying to delve into the field without that experience may not have.

No Responses to “More than a Degree: The Benefit of College for Future Communications Careers”