Study Video Game Development

Posted on March 14th, 2013 by Bryanna Davis

200395597-001There has never been a better time for an international student who is considering studying video game development in the US to commit and begin their journey toward an exciting and lucrative dream career as a video game developer. Many individuals may love video games, but not everyone has the skills or the passion required to make video game development a career. Video game development in the US has become a hybridized discipline that spans an overview of the entire production process (from conception and storyline to programming, rendering, and release) as well as the specifics of each of these specialized tasks comprising a game development team.

International students who choose to study video game development in the US will have to decide which aspect of video game development they would like to be their niche. Specialization along the lines of certain aspects of video game development will set up a game development graduate for exactly the sort of career they aspire toward, and since the discipline of video game development covers so many areas (many of which are specialized disciplines in and of themselves) following a track toward a specific niche is the best way to capitalize on a degree in video game development. So, what are the sub-fields of video game development from which international students are able to choose a specialization?

• Game producer
• Game artist
• Programmer
• Graphic designer
• Creative writer
• Storyline editor
• Audio specialist
• Level designer

These are the different roles that make up a video game development team. International students who study video game development in the United States may find that it is a specific aspect of game development rather than the overview of production that is their true passion and decide to major in that single, specialized aspect of game development itself. However, most game developers are involved throughout the entire process of a game’s creation, using the combination of their knowledge of both the entire production process as well as specialized programming to guide a creative project from conception to fruition.

No Responses to “Study Video Game Development”