Study Dance at SUNY Brockport

Posted on September 13th, 2012 by Jenny Frankel

International students considering coming to the US to study dance should consider SUNY Brockport for their studies. The College at Brockport is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of dance. SUNY Brockport offers both undergraduate and graduate programs in dance, as well as a variety of dance ensembles and opportunities to perform in productions. The College at Brockport offers its students the use of state-of-the-art facilities including five large dance studios, a conditioning lab, costume shop, and a health pool. SUNY Brockport offers a variety of approaches to modern dance as well as studio courses in ballet, contact improvisation and partnering, tap, African dance and drumming, and Irish dance. Students are taught choreography, dance history and theory, teaching methodologies, somatics, and movement analysis.

Undergraduate Program

Prospective students who wish to study dance at SUNY Brockport must first audition for the program. Grades of C or higher are required for all classes in the degree program. In order to be eligible for participation in the departmental dance productions, students must be enrolled in either modern dance or ballet technique. Students can combine a BA/BS dance major curriculum with existing programs in other departments that prepare them for graduate study in dance therapy, arts management, dance medicine, and other careers.

Graduate Program

Graduate students who want to study dance at SUNY Brockport will also have to audition for the program. Students in the graduate program can earn either an MFA in Dance, an MA in Dance or an MA in Dance with New York State PreK-12 dance teacher certification. They may have the opportunity to travel to regional/national conferences and festivals; to countries such as Ghana, England, Australia and Jamaica; or to New York and other locations for apprenticeships or dance study. Admission into the graduate program requires an undergraduate degree with a B or better average; three letters of recommendation, at least two from persons acquainted with the candidate’s dance background; and completion of the application form, including submission of official transcripts of undergraduate study, graduate study and application for audition. The audition process consists of being observed in modern technique class; solving an improvisation problem; presenting a three-minute solo of one’s own original choreography; participation in a formal interview, including candidate’s articulation of areas of interest in dance; and completion of a writing assessment assignment.

For international students considering studying dance in the US, SUNY Brockport offers a wonderful opportunity to improve upon their art.

Written by Jenny Frankel

Jennifer is the Director of Financial Services at Envisage International. Jennifer is a graduate of the University of Florida where she holds a Masters in International Business and a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. She has lived and worked abroad in Chile, Costa Rica and London, and traveled extensively in South America, Europe and Asia.

4 Responses to “Study Dance at SUNY Brockport”

1. morris Says:

i need study dance more

2. Andy Says:

I really love your site! Thanks for sharing and keep it up.

3. Anonymous Says:

Thanks in support of sharing such a fastidious thinking, post is nice, thats why i have read it entirely

4. Anonymous Says:

I simply couldn’t depart your web site before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard info a person supply in your guests? Is going to be again ceaselessly to check up on new posts