Prepare for 2008 – New School Semester

Posted on December 11th, 2007 by Jennifer Frankel

With the new year only weeks away, a new semester will start for many students – some will be returning back to school and for others it will be a start at their new school. To help you with this, we have provided a checklist of things you need make sure are in place for the new semester:

1. Check/ Book Flights
Check and reconfirm your flights for your trip over. If you have not booked a flight yet it is not too late and it could actually save you money as Airlines tend to put sales on after Christmas.

2. Arrange Accommodation
When you first arrive, make sure you have accommodation during the first few nights.

3. Finances/ Student Loans
Make sure all your finances are in order – if you still are short of funds, you can still apply for an international student loan

4. Student Health Insurance
While some schools will automatically require you to enroll in their insurance plan, other schools will leave this up to you – and most schools will not allow you to register without proof of insurance. Save yourself time and hassle by applying now, so that you have confirmation ready when you arrive to register for classes.

5. Stay in touch
Being in a foreign country can be daunting, so make sure you have a way to either call home or for home to call you with an international calling card or sim card.

6. Ask Questsions
You will most likely have lots of questions, hopefully your international student advisor will have answered them all and they are the best person to talk to. However if you want another perspective try international student forums for information and to talk to other students.

…..and the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy yourself!

3 Responses to “Prepare for 2008 – New School Semester”

1. raapeti Says:

Hello,

Thanks for the tips, It is very important to stay in touch with home. It might sound simple, but moving to a foreign can be extremely lonely until you build up a good support network (friends!)

Cheers,
    Tristan
    Foreign Language Tips

2. lazy student Says:

Thank you very much for the Tips sir!

3. mywpblog Says:

I am am excited too with this question. You will not prompt to me, where I can read about it?

And very interesting inforgation you can find here
    See you! 🙂
    gunherfieldu