Study at a UK university

Posted on September 14th, 2022 by International Student
students arriving at a UK university

The United Kingdom maintains a high level of popularity thanks to the hundreds of thousands of international students who choose to study there each year at the best Universities in the country.

The United Kingdom (UK) is a popular destination for international students due to its large and diverse population and excellent educational system. Who better to learn the language’s origins than the nation that adopted it? International students can expect a rewarding experience in the United Kingdom due to its excellent higher education system and hundreds of world-class universities.

Our Study UK guide is made with international students in mind; it covers topics like deciding to study in the UK, picking a city or town within the country, researching the country’s history and culture, and settling into a new environment.

Why Study in the UK?

students talking at orientation at a UK university

Worldwide Recognition

The degrees and credentials awarded by UK universities are well-respected and highly regarded all over the globe. Some older universities with well-known names, such as Oxford and Cambridge, set the standard for excellence. Still, the tradition continues to this day at many universities and colleges across the UK. This can be an excellent selling point for your future job market.

Education Costs are Lower

It’s possible to spend less time and energy earning your degree in the United Kingdom than you would at a university in the United States. Most bachelor’s degree programs in the UK last three years, while master’s degree programs take only a year or two to complete.

Work Opportunities

An international student in the UK can usually work up to 20 hours per week when classes are in session and full-time when classes are not in session.

If you are concerned about working while studying abroad, you should consult with your school’s international advisor before beginning any new jobs. You shouldn’t count on your job’s income to cover your school expenses because finding a job can be difficult.

Scholarships/ Loans

Finding the means to fund a study abroad experience can be challenging. The most effective strategy involves extensive planning, thorough financial analysis, and diligent scholarship application pursuit. Students who wish to attend a university in the United Kingdom can choose from various grants and loans.

Multicultural Nation

The United Kingdom has gained a reputation for its multicultural society, which includes adherents of virtually every major world religion. The UK welcomes international students because of its racially, ethnically, and religiously diverse population.

Top Universities in the UK

Hammerton College, Cambridge, Uk, Old

Oxford University remains unrivalled among the best universities in the Uk Among Its Educational Institution. The prestigious school has dropped one of the spots from last year’s university ranking to fifth, while its archrival, the University of Cambridge, has remained at seventh.

There are now 90 universities in the UK included in the QS World University Rankings, an increase of six from the previous year. All told, four of these schools rank among the world’s top ten, with another four places in the top universities in the world.

1. University of Oxford

The University of Oxford maintained its position among the best universities in the United Kingdom (UK) once again this year. Oxford University is the highest-ranked school in the United Kingdom regarding faculty-student ratio (eighth place) and citations per faculty (44th place), both of which have achieved high scores across all indicators in the world university rankings.

2. University of Cambridge

The University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge are at it again, vying for top honours in the UK. This time around, Cambridge comes in at the top number two, placing seventh on the world university rankings.

Regarding academic and employer reputation, however, Cambridge University in the UK is unrivalled and ranks second worldwide.

3. Imperial College London

Imperial College London, the top school in the nation’s capital, has earned the bronze medal. This year, it jumped from ninth to eighth place worldwide and from ninth to tenth in terms of academic reputation.

4. UCL (University College London)

UCL (University College London) drops two spots this year to 10th in the world university rankings and narrowly misses the spot in the UK top three. The indicator of academic reputation in which it ranks 13th worldwide is its strongest suit of the university rankings.

5. University of Edinburgh

The University of Edinburgh, the only Scottish university in the UK top 10, is ranked fifth in the country and twenty in the world. In terms of academic reputation, it ranks 25th in the world, and in terms of employer reputation, it ranks 31st.

6. The University of Manchester

This year, the University of Manchester places sixth in the UK university rankings and equal-twenty-seventh on the international stage. Employers have a high opinion of Manchester University alums; the university is ranked 21st in the world in terms of the indicator measuring employers’ perceptions of universities.

7. King’s College London (KCL)

King’s College London (KCL) is among the seventh-best universities in the United Kingdom this year, and it moves up two spots to tie for 31st worldwide.

KCL, one of the four London-based universities in the UK top 10, performs exceptionally well across the university board. Still, its academic reputation is particularly so, placing it in the top 50 universities worldwide.

8. London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)

The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) drops from seventh to eighth place in the UK this year and moves into the global top 50 for the first time among our top 10 universities in the UK. Among UK institutions, LSE has the most significant proportion of international students (7th in the world).

9. University of Bristol  

Despite being ranked ninth in the United Kingdom, Bristol University fell nine places to 58th in the world this year. Excellent results can be found across the board when evaluating this institution’s standing, but its academic reputation is particularly well-regarded, placing it in the top 75 worldwide.

10. The University of Warwick

Warwick University is still ranked 10th in the UK and 62nd globally. The university’s global focus is reflected in its near-perfect scores on the indicators measuring international faculty and international students, contributing significantly to the institution’s overall university rankings success.

Cost of Living in the UK

row of terraced houses. private housing is popular among uk university students

Students from other countries will be better prepared financially for studying in the host country if they know the costs of doing so, including tuition, housing, and other miscellaneous expenses at the university.

Tuition Fees

UK colleges and universities charge different amounts for degrees and courses. The cost of higher education is typically higher for science and engineering programmes than it is for those in the humanities, social sciences, and the arts.

It has been estimated by the Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees that the average cost of international undergraduate higher education is between £10,000 and £38,000.

Living Expenses

To add to tuition and fees, international students must cover the cost of living. This includes tuition and fees, housing, food, transportation, and other essentials.

Larger cities have higher living costs, but these costs can be affected by factors like where you choose to live and how much money you spend on food and clothing.

The cost of living is exceptionally high in London compared to the rest of the UK. Studying in England requires students to show a level of financial stability.

Housing Costs

For international students, the cost of housing can range from reasonable to prohibitive, depending on the specifics of their housing situation.

During their first year of college, many students find that living in a university’s residence hall is the best way to adjust to their new environment.

Private rooms are more common in on-campus housing at universities in the UK, but shared rooms are also available.

Students living in dorms can either self-catering or be served meals in the dining hall. When staying in a self-catered hall, you will have access to a kitchen shared by a group of 10 – 15 other students.

Rent for a catered hall covers food costs that students can use in the cafeteria. Halls of residence in London cost an average of £700 per month and can cost as much as £2,000.

A one-bedroom apartment in London can cost anywhere from £1,200 to £2,200 per month, depending on its location, while a similar apartment outside of the city will run you somewhere in the range of £600 to £700.

Homestays are another excellent option for international students for around £600-£800 a month.

Other Living Expenses

In addition to tuition and housing, international students need money for food, utilities (if they’re living off-campus), a phone, books, clothes, and transportation.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is the UK worth it for international students?

For many years, the United Kingdom has been a popular destination for international students seeking a high-quality education that will prepare them for a career anywhere in the world.

2. Is it easy to get a job in the UK after Masters?

If you earn your master’s degree from a prestigious institution in a field that is in high demand, finding work in the United Kingdom should not be difficult.

Several factors, including your master’s degree, skills, location of your job searches, and the industry you’re looking to enter, can increase or decrease your chances of finding gainful employment in the United Kingdom.

3. Can I stay in the UK after my masters?

After completing a course in the United Kingdom, a Graduate visa allows you to remain in the country for a minimum of two years. If you want to apply, you have to be in the UK.

No Responses to “Study at a UK university”