Halloween in the US

Posted on October 11th, 2011 by Jenny Frankel

You might be curious as to how the United States celebrates Halloween. Every year on October 31st people, young and old, join together to celebrate this spooky holiday. Adults may watch scary movies or attend a costume party while children go door-to-door knocking asking for candy using the motto “trick-or-treat”. While Halloween is not an official holiday (yes, your professors expect to see you in class!), many people celebrate by dressing up in scary costumes or going to a haunted house. This is a fun opportunity to get a laugh – and perhaps a scare!

Ever wonder why your supermarket has all of those pumpkins starting around September? Every year around Halloween people remove the interior of the pumpkin and carve a face – scary, funny, silly, and happy. This is when a pumpkin is no longer a pumpkin, and becomes it’s Halloween equivalent, a Jack-O-Lantern. Put a candle inside, and put it right outside your door! You will find this an exciting way to celebrate.

Check your local community’s calendar events. There is always some community activity going on. For example, international students studying in Delaware will get this unique opportunity! This year, from October 28-30th, the 21st annual Sea Witch Halloween and Fiddler’s Fest will be hosted at Rehoboth Beach-Dewey Beach.

Whether your home country celebrates Halloween or not, you will find this an exciting break! International students studying in Delaware will be centrally located to participate in a 5k run, enter a broom tossing contest, go on a lantern tour, make a scare crow, relax on a horse drawn hayride, and dress up (or dress your dog up) in a scary costume with a chance to win best costume!

At this free event, international students studying in Delaware can enjoy the Fiddler’s Fest. As the name can attest, live music from both the banjo and fiddle provide a full days entertainment!

Bring your camera – Halloween is a great photo opportunity that expresses American culture in a unique, scary, and fun way.

Written by Jenny Frankel

Jennifer is the Director of Financial Services at Envisage International. Jennifer is a graduate of the University of Florida where she holds a Masters in International Business and a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. She has lived and worked abroad in Chile, Costa Rica and London, and traveled extensively in South America, Europe and Asia.

3 Responses to “Halloween in the US”

1. halloween costumes Says:

Thanks for your Info. I have enjoyed visiting this site today and hope to visit many more times in the future. I bookmarked this page.

2. Filme Says:

Filme…

[…]Halloween in the US « The International Student Blog[…]…

3. The Riviera Times Says:

The Riviera Times…