University of Florida Increases Internationalization

Posted on January 4th, 2012 by Bryanna Davis

The University of Florida has increased internationalization giving students the opportunity to open doors around the world.  What started with 300 study-abroad students in one year, has now turned into more than 2,000 study abroad students this year alone and the international efforts do not stop there according to an article in the Gainesville Sun. This year thirteen UF students have won the Fulbright award, part of a US government sponsored program that allows students to gain hands-on experience teaching or conducting research in a foreign country. There are over 155 countries around the world that participate in the Fulbright program and there have been approximately 310,000 participants in the program since 1946 according to the US Department of State.

The University of Florida has embraced internationalization, and has selected it as the 2014 university renewal of accreditation theme. In an effort to spread the theme the university has hosted international fairs and speakers. UF has also branched out by adding international studies as a major, an addition that has been sought after for some time. The international studies program allows students to either study abroad or complete a research project that involves their region of study in their senior year.

The benefits of internationalization at the University of Florida reach beyond the campus, one clear illustration of this is seen through the Peace Corps. The University of Florida was ranked second in the top large universities producing Peace Corps members in 2011. UF provided 97 members, second to the University of Colorado at Boulder that provided 117 members.

If you would like more information regarding how the University of Florida increases internationalization you can find it by visiting the Gainesville Sun.

Written by Bryanna Davis

Bryanna joined EIC in 2011 after returning to the United States from teaching English in China. Her interest in international education, sparked initially by her own study abroad experience in Wales, led her to the company. Bryanna is originally from Missouri and is a graduate from the University of Central Missouri.

2 Responses to “University of Florida Increases Internationalization”

1. umar farooq Says:

i am student of the B.Sc hons agriculture,in future want study in abroad please guide me good, lot of thanx.

2. we are MIAMIZINE the number one party spot online;a South florida based magazine that focuses on the entertainment industry and the night life scene.In this magazine the catergories will cover:artists, models, entrepreneurs, Restaurants, and a few hot spo Says:

we are MIAMIZINE the number one party spot online;a South florida based magazine that focuses on the entertainment industry and the night life scene.In this magazine the catergories will cover:artists, models, entrepreneurs, Restaurants, and a few ho…

[…]University of Florida Increases Internationalization « The International Student Blog[…]…