What is studying in London really like?

Posted on June 13th, 2022 by Bryanna Davis

London is a popular destination for students from all over the world. There are plenty of reasons for this; the city has a rich cultural history, and most people instantly recognize its unique atmosphere. This deeply historic quality is reflected in its longstanding and prestigious museums, libraries, colleges and universities. One example is the University of Roehampton, which has four distinct colleges, each of which was founded in the mid 19th century. The campus is filled with historic buildings which exist alongside new, cutting-edge facilities. As you explore London, you’ll find that this is a common theme; the structures that make up the city itself have been there for a long time, but they are constantly being added to and repurposed as the city flourishes. 

If you’re considering studying in London, you may be wondering what daily life there is actually like, and whether or not this decision is financially feasible for you. The answer is that it varies, but if you know what you’re doing, you can end up having the experience that you hope for. The first thing to keep in mind is that, like most major cities, life in London is expensive. As a college student, living in a city like London comes at a price, but many would argue that it is worth it, as it can give you access to job opportunities that make up for the cost difference. 

Life in the city is vibrant and exciting; there is always something interesting happening right in front of you. Students who study in college towns then transfer to big cities are often surprised by the fact they don’t need campus-organized events to have fun or get to know people as they would in a town that is centered around a university. For this reason, students with hobbies that can introduce them to communities outside of their school love studying in cities like London. In a city this size, it’s unlikely that you’ll see the same person twice if you don’t know them or if they’re not in your neighborhood. If you have interests that can put you in touch with the heart of a city, the amount of new people you’ll be able to meet and opportunities that this can lead to are endless. 

Something unique about London is that there are schools that offer an opportunity to branch out along with the student community-based feel that college towns have. One example of this is the University of Roehampton. The feel of the Roehampton campus is similar to that of a quiet neighborhood. This is something that is characteristic of European cities; they are often built with more respect for traditional, quiet life than American cities have. In London, it’s pretty easy to escape from the noise of a city when you feel the need to, as public transit is very accessible and spans the whole country. 

There are many differences between London and other big cities, but one important thing that students often notice about living in London is the access to history and culture! We suggest thoroughly researching top spots around London based on your interests, but here are just a few recommendations to get you started on your list: 

• Buckingham Palace
  • Tower Bridge
  • Big Ben (and Palace of Westminster)
  • Westminster Abbey
  • The British Museum 
  • St.Paul’s Cathedral
  • Piccadilly Circus
  • The Globe Theatre

One of the most crucial things to do when you move to a new city is getting to know someone that can show you around and give you helpful advice. In London, this shouldn’t take long; people will be happy to talk to you during your exciting international education journey. 

No Responses to “What is studying in London really like?”