InternationalStudent.com InternationalStudent.com

Make New Friends in the United States as an International Student

Posted on July 14th, 2017 by Connor Smith

Coming to the US can be an emotional roller coaster. It can be difficult to get outside your comfort zone and talk with your fellow students to make new friends. Your university will usually provide a number of resources to help you feel at home in the US, however, in addition to these resources you must also be proactive in making an effort to socialize. Here are eight suggestions on how to make the most of your time in America to build friendships that will last a lifetime:

1.) Use your University’s Multicultural or International Center

Most universities have a multicultural or international student center where you can hang out with you fellow international students and get to know them. Taking advantage of this resource will help you to forge friendships with your peers. The International Center will also allow you to be a part of numerous cultural events and share knowledge about your culture with students across campus.

2.) Join a Club

Step outside your comfort zone and join a club for something you’ve never done before! Every school offers a variety of clubs and student organizations to get involved with. Try something different like ultimate frisbee, running, film-making, astronomy or cooking. Who knows, you may discover a secret passion for something you’ve never tried!

3.) Attend Events

Attending a school sponsored event is a great way to meet new people. Throughout the semester student events such as mixers, dances, movie nights, game nights are fairly common at most schools. This will give you a chance to meet new people in a structured way.

4.) Take an Interest in American Culture

Coming to the US means experiencing a new culture and being a part of the melting pot of diversity that is America. Make an effort to learn about American movies, TV shows, sports, food and music. Americans are constantly talking about these things and it’ll be easier to make friends if you make an effort to relate!

5.) Talk with Classmates

While sitting in class waiting for the professor to start their lecture, talk with the people around you. Most students in your classes will be open to talking and making friends with the people around them to make the classroom environment more enjoyable.

6.) Start a Study Group

If you make friends with people around you in your class, start a study group! You are all in the same boat and if your class is tough it’s beneficial to study together to get a wider perspective on what you’re learning and to collaborate with your fellow peers.

7.) Understand Social Situational Cues

American’s are generally friendly but don’t look into things too much. Someone may something like “Yeah, text me whenever, let’s hang out!” but this does not mean to text or call them all of the time. It is important to understand that someone being nice to you doesn’t necessarily mean they would want to go on a date with you, so it’s important to not mistake friendship for romantic advances. This can be tricky so check out our Developing a Social Life in the USA section for further insight into situational cues.

8.) Don’t Ask Rude Questions

Never ask someone’s age, weight, how much money they make, their political stance or why they don’t have children. In some cultures these questions may seem normal and inoffensive, and to some people they are but as a whole it’s best to stray away from these topics when initially having a conversation with a potential new friend.

Making new friends is never easy but if you put in the effort, are polite and respectful, then you should have no problem making new friends in America. The most important thing to remember is to be yourself!

Written by Connor Smith

Connor joined the Marketing and Advertising team in late 2016 as our Marketing Intern. He is originally from Jupiter, Florida and a recent graduate of the University of North Florida with a Bachelor of Science in Communication and Advertising. He has also had the opportunity to travel throughout Europe, China, Australia and New Zealand which prompted him to get involved with marketing here at Envisage.

15 Responses to “Make New Friends in the United States as an International Student”

1. Temesgen Says:

Hoping you’re well. I am Temesgen from Ethiopia. I want to join in International student.com to have a new friend.

2. Sachin Says:

Hi friends

I wish to join this group to make new friends as well as for some information.

See you

3. Sachin Says:

Meanwhile i wish to say that i belong to India

4. IB School Says:

Nice blog to build up the social life and to equip our inner person. This article made me to know “Who Am I”.

5. Fuad Says:

Soo glad to create new friends in long life and shared in new with knowledge, mood, experience and skill based on updated technologies .Thus near to you and highly greeting you

6. David Says:

I need to interact with foreign students, studying Oil & Gas

7. David Says:

I would like to know about University of Akron, Ohio’ s Master’s Degree in Corrosion Engineering. What is the Duration and the possibility of International Students, getting Scholarships/Grants/Financial Aids, to study in University of Akron, Ohio, US.
    Thanks.
    David
    Tel : 234 70 350 047 43

8. Hadush Mehari Says:

my Name is Hadush Mehari from Mekelle University college team leader .
    i need to open new friendship linkage/relation regarding to your international students website i am more interested to follow your activities and eager to start your conversation or communication
    best regards Hadush Mehari

9. Garcia Says:

I am from Haïti and I need a new friend.

10. Fortunate Says:

I like making new friends

11. Austin S Levenus Says:

i would like to make new friends i from Liberia

12. Adelvotha Audax Says:

hi friends first of all i want to join with you as friends I would look like to know how can I get scholarship for study in US. For the vacant of Civil engineering degree studies. I’m in Tanzania.

nice day

13. Minna khaled Says:

Hi, I’d like to get a new friend, I’m arapic girl and needs to improve my language, I’m a dental student *last year*, any help? 😀

14. kobati A david Says:

My name is DAVID K. AYIWUURI from GHANA. I will like to join you as a friends to help me know how to study and stay in the US. i am currently studying education at the UNIVERSITY of EDUCATION, WINNEBA in GHANA. can i get some friends to help?
    DAVID, GHANA

15. WILSON FUNGAMEZA Says:

Hi! My name is WILSON FUNGAMEZA from TANZANIA, I would like to join you as a friends to help me how to study master in US. I have completed a BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN NURSING at ST. JOHN’S UNIVERSITY OF TANZANIA. can i get some friends to help?
    phone no.+255756229808