New English Test Option for University Admissions!

Posted on June 19th, 2020 by Brett Reichert
University of West Georgia Students

Hi, my name is Brett. I’m in charge of international student admissions at the University of West Georgia near Atlanta. Disclaimer: I don’t work for DuoLingo, but I did teach English in Korea and the U.S. for 10 years. I wanted to write about DuoLingo’s new English test because I think it offers a fresh, new alternative to choose from when determining which English exam is the perfect fit for you . I hope this article helps with your college search journey.     ~ Brett R.

Ask Yourself 3 Quick Questions:

disclaimer [dis-kley-mer]
noun: a statement that
removes an association.
  1. Do English exams make you nervous?
  2. Are they expensive to take and submit with multiple applications?
  3. Do you dream of admission to a quality university abroad someday?

Well, good news! There is a new kind of English test that is quickly gaining popularity and acceptance worldwide. It’s called the DuoLingo English Test

Affordable and Fast

In some cultures, terms like affordable, low-cost, and economical can be associated with poor quality or lower status. However, that is not the case with DuoLingo English Test. Schools like Yale, Stanford, UCLA, and 100’s of other institutions accept their scores.

So, if your goal is to obtain an officially recognized test of your English ability or to meet college admission requirements, the Duolingo English Test might be the perfect exam option for you!

• Cost: US $49

The DuoLingo English Test allows you to send your results to as many schools as you wish at a low rate without any additional charge.

• Results: In 48 hours

Duo’s unique, adaptive, testing systems provides a clear, simple total score in around 2 days. Also, if you didn’t reach your target score, relax. The fast score turnaround gives you more time to prepare and try again.

Convenient and Accessible

The DuoLingo English Test is 100% web-based. Hey, no test centers! This convenience alone saves students time and money,with DuoLingo English Test, you can register online and complete it at home in an hour.

• No test appointments
  • Available 24/7
  • Free practice tests
  • Uses a secure internet connection, your computer cam and microphone

Reliable, Secure, Accepted, User-Friendly

Q:  Is it Reliable?
A: YES. The data supports the reliability and validity of the test’s structure, adaptability, and correlation to both TOEFL and IELTS scores. DuoLingo English Test contains tens of 1000’s of randomized questions and prompts that adapt to your skill level based on difficulty and correct response. No two tests are the same.

Q:  Is it Secure?

A:  YES. DuoLingo English Test uses very strict security techniques, artificial intelligence (AI) and remote monitoring to keep the test experience secure and reliable. The interface also requires a “browser lockdown” and records your computer’s camera, microphone, screen and mouse movements. Results are carefully reviewed, so it’s secure!

Q: Is it widely accepted?

A: YES. 2000+ institutions worldwide and growing already accept the DuoLingo English Test. There are famous, prestigious schools like Yale, Columbia and UCLA along with 100’s of other high-quality regional and community colleges ready to accept your DuoLingo English Test report. Score requirements vary by institution. For example, at the University of West Georgia, we can admit you with a score of 95, but prefer 100+.    

Q: What does it look like?

A: Personally, I find the test’s appearance clear, simple and refreshing. High school and college students today expect a web experience that feels clean, natural and friendly with no distractions.

Here are a couple of screenshots of a typical speaking and grammar prompt. The number above the progress bar at the top indicates the time limit in minutes.

In Summary

In my opinion, the DuoLingo English Test succeeds in meeting users where they are today: online, at home, safely and securely. I believe this test product is already revolutionizing the global English language testing industry. More importantly, it is also providing test access to well-qualified students who might not have been able to afford or reach a TOEFL or IELTS test center in the past. For these reasons, I highly recommend the DuoLingo English Test.

About the Writer

Brett Reichert, M.S., Florida State University, is a Fulbright Grantee to Belgium and former English Language Program Manager at Samsung HQ in Seoul, Korea. Today, he is Director of International Student Admissions and Programs at the University of West Georgia.

About the University of West Georgia

UWG is a traditional, public, comprehensive university 72km west of Atlanta, Georgia in a charming, small community. With 13,500 students, a 19:1 student-faculty ratio and state of the art facilities, UWG offers 90+ degree programs in eight colleges and schools as well as hosting the State of Georgia’s online learning platform, eCore.  For more information about UWG international admissions on our profile on InternationalStudent.com.

No Responses to “New English Test Option for University Admissions!”