Applying to Colleges

Posted on May 3rd, 2014 by Bryanna Davis

college app 179115188Applying to colleges or universities in the US takes a lot of time and may seem like it’s become a full time job!  There are many factors to consider, not the least of which is trying to find the best school for you and your budget. After you have decided which schools you will apply to, the process has just started.

Application processes are often labor-intensive, requiring you to dig up academic records, furnish writing samples or create admissions essays and find references of those who are willing to put in a good word for you.

After you have all of your materials in, the agony of waiting begins. Most schools give notice by email almost as soon as a decision is made, while this is great when it comes to getting a quick reply, it also means that instead of waiting anxiously for a letter in the mail- you open your email each day with trepidation.

To improve your chances of getting good rather than bad emails, however, there are some things you can do.

Choose the schools you apply to wisely. Since the number of individuals pursuing higher education continues to increase, it makes getting into some of the top schools even more difficult. Additionally, paying attention to every detail on your application can make a big difference.

To improve your chances of getting accepted into at least one school- apply to many! Apply to your dream school along with a few “safety schools” that you know you have a great chance of being accepted into at least one!

Written by Bryanna Davis

Bryanna joined EIC in 2011 after returning to the United States from teaching English in China. Her interest in international education, sparked initially by her own study abroad experience in Wales, led her to the company. Bryanna is originally from Missouri and is a graduate from the University of Central Missouri.

No Responses to “Applying to Colleges”