Choosing a Major in Economics

Posted on February 4th, 2014 by Jenny Frankel

small thinking86527850Choosing a major can be difficult, especially for international students. With so much riding on the line, the choice can sometimes seem overwhelming. One of the hardest things about the decision is finding a major that strikes a balance between something you enjoy, and something that will get you a good job when you graduate. To those students, I’d like to suggest studying economics in the US.

Okay, first let me say that economics is not for everyone. For starters, it involves the dreaded “M word”: Math. This might immediately turn some students off to the major, but to those students I would stress that there is really not much math if you don’t want there to be. A Bachelors of Arts degree in economics usually only requires math courses up to statistics.

This ability to pick a major that suits you brings me to the biggest advantages of getting an economics degree in the US, and that is its flexibility. Not only can a student choose between a Bachelors of Science and a Bachelors of Arts in Economics, but some universities also offer a choice between traditional economics and applied economics degrees. Traditional economics focuses on the more theoretical aspects of the major, and is typically more for students who are considering graduate school. Applied economics, on the other hand, gives students more practical skills and is aimed at those who want a job right after college.

There is also a plethora of classes ranging over a huge range of topics to choose from. There are classes on the economics of art and culture, the economics of sports, and even the economics of biology. Some classes are math-heavy, while others require no math at all. This allows you to customize your schedule to your personal interests.

For many, getting a degree in economics is the happy medium between a truly enjoyable major, and a practical major. So, if you’re unsure about choosing a major, try an economics class out and see if it’s right for you!

Written by Jenny Frankel

Jennifer is the Director of Financial Services at Envisage International. Jennifer is a graduate of the University of Florida where she holds a Masters in International Business and a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. She has lived and worked abroad in Chile, Costa Rica and London, and traveled extensively in South America, Europe and Asia.

No Responses to “Choosing a Major in Economics”