Top 4 Free Activities on Your Campus

Posted on August 3rd, 2013 by Bryanna Davis

workouttreadmill153627979Your college tuition and fees pay for a lot more than just your education. There are a lot of great resources on campus that many students never take advantage of- but should! Here are a few great perks at the school you study abroad at that you should use since you’re already paying for them.

Hit the Gym

Just about every college has a fitness center, and they are usually free for students. International students will find that the university gym is huge, and probably one of the best gym environments around. These gyms are often stories high, and have just about every fitness machine imaginable. In addition, most schools offer different indoor courts like basketball, racquetball and swimming. The fitness center also offers some great classes- typically for no additional fee. Classes can include yoga, cycling, group fitness, cross training, and more. Probably one of the biggest advantages for students is personal fitness mentoring that may also be free for students. Personal trainers create a special workout plan just for you and keep track of your gains and improvements.

The Game Room

Students will find that the game room is a fun environment that a lot of international students use to unwind. Many students come together to play video games, card games, pool and ping pong in the game room. This is also a great place to meet people who share your same interests. The game room will usually coordinate weekly tournaments in all of these different activities. Likewise, the managers of the game room may coordinate outdoor games like flag football; capture the flag and many other free activities.

Sports Fields

Sport fields are not just for athletes and intercollegiate teams. Students also have access to these fields. While there may be times that the fields are closed, student fees cover the grounds. Students can take part in softball games, flag football, and soccer and run on the track. There are also nature trails and outdoor activities all around the campus. Many schools will rent out camping and fishing equipment to students for free.

Planned Events

From residence halls, to the student center, to student organizations, there are a number of planned events that take place each week- most of which are free activities and provide goodies for attendees to walk away with like t-shirts and snacks. Get a schedule of these events and hit up as many as possible. More than likely a portion of your tuition fees have helped fund them!

Make sure you share with other international students how they also can enjoy free activities on their college campus.

Written by Bryanna Davis

Bryanna joined EIC in 2011 after returning to the United States from teaching English in China. Her interest in international education, sparked initially by her own study abroad experience in Wales, led her to the company. Bryanna is originally from Missouri and is a graduate from the University of Central Missouri.

No Responses to “Top 4 Free Activities on Your Campus”