5 Reasons to Become a Commercial Airline Pilot

Posted on August 26th, 2013 by Bryanna Davis

CFAAviation blog2_164111535International students who study aviation in the United States have a number of career options available to them. They might choose to become flight instructors, private pilots, or commercial airline pilots. Working as a commercial airline pilot has many perks. Here are some of the best:

1. Salary
    According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in May 2011, commercial airline pilots made a mean annual salary of $76,050, more than the $45,230 earned across all occupations at the same time. Although this is not as high as some people would expect, commercial airline pilots also get a number of benefits on top of their salaries.
  2. Travel
    The most obvious benefit to working as a commercial airline pilot is the travel. As a commercial airline pilot, you will be able to tour the world (often staying in nice hotels while you do so). What’s more, you’ll be paid to do it!
  3. Flexible Schedules
    On average, commercial airline pilots work about 225 hours each month. However, they are limited to about 1,000 flying hours per year. For this reason, many commercial airline pilot’s responsibilities include non-flight duties as flight scheduling, record keeping, and the arrangement of aircraft maintenance. Pilots can enjoy flexible working hours, as well as extended periods of time off. They can use this time off to take advantage of the travel benefits afforded to them.
  4. Travel Perks
    Commercial airline pilots are given large discounts on personal air travel. Many are also given discounts on personal car rentals and hotel rooms. These benefits often extend to immediate family members, as well, and can be for life.
  5. Other Benefits
    Commercial airline pilots are typically provided with free enrollment in a 401k savings plan by their employer and some companies even match employee contributions. Additionally, many pilots also receive comprehensive medical coverage for themselves and their families.

Airlines also provide their pilots with uniforms free of charge, so commercial airline pilots don’t have to worry about buying work clothes. While in the air or staying in hotels between travel legs, pilots generally eat for free or at a reduced price.

An additional benefit awarded to some commercial airline pilots, depending on which airline they work for, is an education gift-matching program that matches charitable donations to educational institutions dollar for dollar.

Of course these are the top 5 reasons to become a commercial airline pilot, but the sixth and most important reason for international student is for their love of flying! Find more on how you can pursue a degree in aviation.

Written by Bryanna Davis

Bryanna joined EIC in 2011 after returning to the United States from teaching English in China. Her interest in international education, sparked initially by her own study abroad experience in Wales, led her to the company. Bryanna is originally from Missouri and is a graduate from the University of Central Missouri.

6 Responses to “5 Reasons to Become a Commercial Airline Pilot”

1. Simon Karega Says:

I am an international student from Kenya who wants to be an airline pilot and goes to a small highschool in Missouri and I just wanted to express gratitude for this opportunity that’s I have to pursue my career in a different country and also for how helpful your information above was. It really broadened my knowledge about how the Aviation field operates

2. Mark Bates Says:

I probably have waited too late but I would love to be an airline pilot

3. Samia sabir Says:

Thank you so much for sharing sach a important info. I spent my 4years to make a system from where i can get money to fullfil my dream to become a Commercial pilot. Now i feel i should step in to this career and hope for the best since i am so excited to join a flying club.
    Wish me luck… 🙂

4. Bryanna Davis Says:

Good luck Samia!

5. Marquis Says:

Plz I am an immigration officer in Nigeria.
    But which to enrol in any good avaition school in USA either as a aeronautic student or pilot.
    I have a visiting visa to USA plseas what’s the next step

6. Bryanna Davis Says:

Hi Marquis,

You’re able to find a school in the US that offers an aviation program in our school search. You can then request further information from the schools of your choice. Good luck!