Five Reasons to Study Tourism in the US

Posted on February 4th, 2013 by Bryanna Davis

tourism138082008There are literally hundreds of different options when it comes to deciding what you would like to earn an undergraduate or graduate degree in. With so many choices it’s a wonder how anyone is able to narrow down exactly what they want to do. However, there is one field of study that includes many different aspects and involves a ton of possibilities…hence the first reason why international students should study tourism in the US: variety! When speaking of variety, it is in reference to a variety of study options, variety of work locations, variety of job titles, etc.

If you’re an international student who can get bored learning about one specific thing then studying tourism is definitely for you. Therefore, the second reason for studying tourism is all the knowledge you will gain on various interesting topics. Usually this degree will involve learning about topics like economics, marketing, geography, anthropology, biology, history, law, social sciences, architecture and business.

The third reason has to do with the economic growth of the tourism industry. The tourism industry has been one of the only economic strongholds throughout the different economies and it is expected to continue to grow within the upcoming years. By 2021 it is predicted that travel and tourism will account for 69 million more jobs around the world.

The fourth reason international students should consider the opportunity to study tourism in the US at a top tourism school is because of all the different types of jobs to choose from. With a tourism degree you could be a tour operator, work for a cruise or airline company, or for a major hotel group or tourist attraction. Or perhaps you would like to manage and organize events like festivals or concerts that promote tourism. A tourism degree can help you achieve this goal and open the door to many different types of jobs, you just have to decide which one you would like to pursue!

The fifth reason to study tourism in the US is the fact that you have the chance to live in some of the greatest cities in the world. With hundreds of different tourist destinations you can choose to work almost any place you like whether you prefer Miami, Paris, France or Beijing.

The tourism industry is all about variety and options and it proves to be one of the most diverse and fastest growing industries around. If you are considering studying tourism in the US, hopefully the above information will assist you with your decision when it comes to finding a top school to study tourism.

4 Responses to “Five Reasons to Study Tourism in the US”

1. Sony kashyap Says:

Exactly given 5 reason is right for us that study travel and tourism industry in US.

2. baptista do carmo Says:

I am bachelor of business in travel and tourism

3. Bryanna Davis Says:

Hi Baptista,

That’s great! Are you looking to continue your studies? Also, any advice for those looking to pursue this degree?

4. DAHER Says:

I’m actually study in Bs Hospitality in Netherland and I’m from Djibouti.
    Looking to study in my Master in USA