Why Study Psychology

Posted on December 18th, 2012 by Bryanna Davis

Students who study psychology find that as time passes they are able to understand more and more of the complex mental processes behind human emotions and actions. Those who ask themselves, “why study psychology,” will see that studying psychology has career benefits and also offers various concepts which are applicable in day to day life. Psychology students are able to break down many human thought processes to understand the basic foundation that they arise from.

There are a few answers for those who are asking “why study psychology.” International students who study psychology in the US find their communication skills improve. Most psychologists have had a constant pursuit to explore how humans communicate and engage in social situations. By studying these individual findings, many students are able to better their interpersonal relationships through more effective communication. Students also state that they are able to avoid communication breakdown in situations where they originally fell short.

International students also find that their subject of interest helps them in personal growth. They are able to put reason on why and how certain emotions spur. Since this field of study has over the years spanned so vast, students are able to see that they are not the only ones with certain concerns, thoughts, ideas or emotions, and that there are many people who have felt the same way. Psychological principles also help provide a certain outline of recourses available to tackle undesirable or painful emotions.

Many psychologists have reported that the field of study has helped them, to a certain extent, to decipher the actions of other people, leading to an enhanced understanding of people around them. International students who study psychology in the US state that the understanding of psychological principles has helped them understand the emotional drive behind actions which would, in other situations, be quite incomprehensible. Compassion is a founding pillar of psychology and its study can assist students in helping others deal with emotional hardship.

Through compassion and empathy, international students who study psychology in the US become more adept at solving conflicts. By understanding factors leading to a certain outcome, certain situations can be effectively predicted and consequently averted. As previously mentioned, communication skills and an understanding of people come into play to effectively deal with an undesirable situation in this field.

Another answer for those asking “why study psychology,” is that international students who study psychology in the US find several career prospects open up to them. This in turn leads to successful job opportunities. There are a number of growing jobs not only in the mental health industry but also in corporate and educational settings. Students who study psychology in the US are able to transfer most psychological concepts to their professional situations, making them an ideal asset in most areas of work.

* Psychology photo courtesy of Shutterstock

No Responses to “Why Study Psychology”