Influential US News Sites

Posted on September 25th, 2012 by Bryanna Davis

Before you embark on your journey to the United States as an international student studying broadcast journalism, there are some key news sites you should consider reading, listening and watching. Being up-to-date with the news will not only help you as a broadcast student, but will also aid you in creating and contributing to conversations with the locals and students alike.

Remember, these are just suggestions, and there are likely tons of other great alternative news sources out there. Some of the most influential US News Sites in the media are:

CNN
You may be familiar with CNN, because it has a strong presence internationally. CNN is the US’s first 24-hour news site and has its headquarters in Atlanta, GA. CNN brings all types of news from across the globe to the front pages. If you want to be up-to-date with the current US politics in 2012, CNN is the place to go – as they are currently hosting most of the presidential primary debates.

New York Times
Perhaps the most iconic newspaper in America, The New York Times may also be a familiar news source to you because they also produce The International Herald Tribune, which is sold in approximately 160 countries. The New York Times is considered a top-notch news organization bringing some of the finest, most in-depth stories to the table.

Fox News
One of the most dominant cable networks in the United States, Fox News is known by many for its conservative reporting, although the journalists at Fox guarantee an unbiased outlook. Nonetheless, it is undoubtedly one of the most influential US news sites. In 2012, Fox drew the largest crowd in the age grouping of 24-54 among the top-ten spots of cable news programming.

NPR
One of the only major non-profit membership media organizations, NPR is a high-quality radio broadcast provider. The station covers all top news stories and trending topics. NPR also reports on many niche topics, which brings some of the smaller stories to the global medium. NPR is known for its unbiased approach, but also features’ programming that covers music, car repair and more. The station is generally reachable via radio across the United States and is always available online.

Remember that, as an international student, you might get your news not only from large influential US news sites, but also from your campus newspaper. Are you hungry for more information about studying broadcasting abroad? Check out our study abroad guide that includes information on is broadcasting right for you.

No Responses to “Influential US News Sites”