Studying in Maine

Posted on April 3rd, 2012 by Jenny Frankel

Being situated in the uppermost corner of the Continental United States, Maine is a perfect winter wonderland. International students studying in Maine will find an abundance of snow, more than 200 inches annually, and more than enough snow sports to accompany it. Some of the snow sports are common, like sledding but others are a bit more unique, like ice fishing. With temperatures averaging 70 degrees Fahrenheit during the summer and averaging 20 degree Fahrenheit in the winter, Maine is no place for those with a thin skin.

Ice skating is popular winter sport international students in Maine will like to take part in. Whether it’s in an indoor man-made skating rink or an outdoor pond in a quaint town, ice skating is always a fun activity. The University of Southern Maine has an Olympic sized ice rink in Maine. Although used mostly for college athletics, it is open to the public during certain times. At Sugarloaf, a newly renovated NHL size ice rink is open for hockey and free skating.

Another winter sport Mainers participate in is snowmobiling. There are14,500 miles of interconnected, marked and groomed snowmobile trails which are maintained by local clubs and organizations. Snowmobiling is not only a fast paced activity, it lets the rider see the scenic view of Maine’s impressive 17 million acres of forests. There are even entire festivals dedicated to Maine’s most popular winter sport. The International Snowmobilers Festival allows snowmobilers to travel on both sides of the Canadian-United States border. Snodeo in Rangeley Lakes is another snowmobiler’s paradise. Along with snowmobiling activities, there is live entertainment, chili cook-offs, fireworks and poker runs.

Skiing and Snowshoeing take on a whole new adventure for international students studying in Maine. There are 17 Alpine Ski areas. Many areas offer classes and night skiing. From Sunday River with a vertical drop of 2,340 feet to Seacoast Snow Park with a 100 foot vertical drop, there is a wide range to choose from. There are also 24 Nordic Ski areas. Some of these areas offer cross country skiing and snowshoeing and some are exclusively for snowshoeing.

Written by Jenny Frankel

Jennifer is the Director of Financial Services at Envisage International. Jennifer is a graduate of the University of Florida where she holds a Masters in International Business and a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. She has lived and worked abroad in Chile, Costa Rica and London, and traveled extensively in South America, Europe and Asia.

5 Responses to “Studying in Maine”

1. Nick Says:

I spent several summers in Maine and I loved its lakes. And I saw some pictures of their winters – they get lots and lots of snow.

2. Donnette Sherman Says:

I would like information on graduate studies in Education and any scholarship offered to international students

3. MAURICE Says:

Thank you so much for the provision of this information.
    i would wish to register for a degree course in Maine and i need scholarship.
    am an orphan my parents [passed on 17yrs ago, i went through struggles to complete my high school and my diploma course in Theology. please help me to know what to do. i have a dream to peruse a degree in philosophy/ community development and social studies.
    thank you

4. u jmv Says:

i am a bachelor degree holder in computer engineering and information technology from KIST and i want a help so as to pursue my masters in the stated field.

5. ngombi eric ngombi Says:

i am a bachelor degree holder in biochemestry and a studen in master, i wish by your help to pursue in study in the country.thank in advance