Study in Minnesota

Posted on April 24th, 2012 by Jenny Frankel

For any international student who is going to study in Minnesota, some serious thought needs to be put into what kind of campus setting you prefer. Minnesota is the 12th largest state in the U.S., which means there is a lot of land and many cities to choose from.

So if you are going to study in Minnesota, you need to ask yourself what things are most important to you; do you value a small, quaint campus like the one at Carleton College in the small city of Northfield, Minnesota, or do you prefer a large, lively campus like the one the University of Minnesota has in the Twin Cities?

If you favor a quiet or small town setting, the majority of the state is full of large nature/wildlife preserves along with beautiful lakes, mountains, and state parks. The University of Minnesota(Crookston Campus), St. Olaf College, and Southwest Minnesota State University, all have student bodies under 3,000 people and offer a small town campus environment.

If you crave a busier, more populated campus setting, about 60% of Minnesota’s population is concentrated in the Twin Cities area. University of Minnesota’s Twin City campus has about 51, 721 students enrolled and covers about 932 acres of land within the St. Paul and Minneapolis area. Nightlife in the Twin Cities is in full swing 7 days a week, places like the Kitty Kat Club, Lee’s Liquor Lounge, and Preston’s Urban Pub, offer students great food and music during the day and a place to drink and dance at night.

There are hundreds of venues international students can go to in the Twin Cities. The Mall of America, the Minnesota Zoo, and the Canterbury Park are all located within the Twin Cities as well. So when considering where exactly you want to study in Minnesota, make sure to do a little research on the area so that you can find the perfect campus setting that fits you!

Written by Jenny Frankel

Jennifer is the Director of Financial Services at Envisage International. Jennifer is a graduate of the University of Florida where she holds a Masters in International Business and a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. She has lived and worked abroad in Chile, Costa Rica and London, and traveled extensively in South America, Europe and Asia.

13 Responses to “Study in Minnesota”

1. Nyanga henry Says:

I would welcome this oppotunity to study in America

2. Haggai muwowo Says:

How can i get to study in the states,particulaly minnesota?please advise.

3. The information is so nice…but how is possible 2 study there..? Says:

How is possible 2 study there?

4. Dr. Valerie Stevens Says:

Thanks for the tip. I’ll be studying in the Minnesota next year. Will follow your advice regarding deciding what city to stay in.

5. Grace Says:

I will like to study in Minnesota. Pls I need ur advice

6. mikiyas ayalew Says:

give me this chance and i will strong to next coming things.

7. Appolinaire ZAGABE Says:

Hey, I’m planning to study in Minnesota next year, I need your orientation, advice on how to succed

8. Gullek N. Godfrey Says:

How do i get to study in minesota i work work with a vet res inst in Nigeria as lab assistant.

9. FAVOUR OLUEBUBECHUKWU UBA Says:

I HAVE A BURNING DESIRE TO STUDY AT UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA. BUT I DON’T HAVE A SPONSOR, MY PARENTS DON’T HAVE THE LIQUID CASH. PLEASE HELP ME TO ACHIEVE MY ACADEMIC GOALS. I WANT TO STUDY LAW/CRIMINAL JUSTICE AT YOUR INSTITUTION FROM SEPTEMBER 2013. KINDLY OBLIGE ME.

10. Ezediolu emmanuel c Says:

I love to study they and the i want 2 study is mechanical engineering

11. Ezediolu emmanuel c Says:

Please i need the offer

12. Atieno Gloria Ouma Says:

I could love to study at Carleton College but my parents are unable to support me financially. i would be grateful in case i had a sponsor to help me achieve my dreams of being able to study and help them in future and to also extend a helping hand to those who will need the same help too.I’d like to study medicine from July 2012. I will be grateful to hear from you.

13. Dre Says:

What certificates do i need,what processes?,are they tedious?,how long are your engr programs, heard 3yrs what kinds of aids are available to international students,pls i need help to get this information or an all in one site