Delaware State Parks

Posted on January 17th, 2012 by Jenny Frankel

As an international student in Delaware, there is so much to do outside the classroom that you may find yourself packed with things to do! With the state park system in Delaware, you may find yourself laying on the beach listening to the waves or perhaps learning about US history.

One must-see state park for international student in Delaware is the Delaware Seashore State Park! With beautiful white sandy beaches, it provides the perfect getaway opportunity to unwind from the pressures of school. After lying in the sun all day, you may find yourself itching to move around. Delaware Seashore State Park offers over six miles of ocean and bay shoreline. With over a million visitors each year, you can enjoy yourself swimming or sunbathing in two different swimming areas. If you are up for an adventure, you can try surfing and sailboarding on the strong waves coming through the park. You can even try your luck at fishing at some of the banks along the Indian River Inlet. The park also maintains four different hikes, with a 4.6 mile long trail along the beach. You can either walk, or go horseback riding with a local organized group! There are also trails that lead into the forest where you can get a glimpse of Delaware’s ecosystem. Enjoy the sandy upland forests and spot birds, reptiles, and local species. Don’t forget your cameras!

If you are looking for some Delaware history, international students can check out Fort Delaware State Park. You’ll find yourself taken back to the 1800’s when this fortress was built by the Union. Back in the heart of the Civil War, Fort Delaware housed the captured prisoners from the Confederate opponents. After you explore the fort, take the local ferry to view the fortress from another angle and check out Pea Patch Island. With trails along the marshes, this area serves as a different ecosystem home to nine different species of herons, egrets, and ibis birds. In fact, this is the largest wading bird nesting areas on the East Coast!

Delaware has much to offer nature enthusiasts and history buffs! While studying in Delaware is an exciting opportunity – viewing the local attractions will create memories that will last a lifetime!

Written by Jenny Frankel

Jennifer is the Director of Financial Services at Envisage International. Jennifer is a graduate of the University of Florida where she holds a Masters in International Business and a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. She has lived and worked abroad in Chile, Costa Rica and London, and traveled extensively in South America, Europe and Asia.

2 Responses to “Delaware State Parks”

1. ps3 emulator Says:

ps3 emulator…

[…]Delaware State Parks « The International Student Blog[…]…

2. seerly Says:

hope can go there soon!