International Students in Nevada

Posted on July 19th, 2011 by Jenny Frankel

Before making the decision to study in the “Silver State” it’s important that an international student be familiar with the academic specialties in Nevada, as well as the typical professional trajectory of the graduates of the state’s institutions. Over 98,000 students are enrolled in degree-seeking programs at institutes of higher education in Nevada, and of that number over 3,000 are international students. Due to the state economy’s dependence on the service and gaming/tourism industries that employ the majority of the resident workforce, many academic specialties in Nevada focus on providing education in the cognate fields of hospitality and service, or skilled gaming-labor jobs (such as card-dealing or flair bartending).

International students who study in Nevada will receive educations which render them poised to competitively enter job markets in travel and accommodations, fine dining, marketing, and promotion and management. On the other hand, skills acquired from the many trade-specific institutions such as those related to casino-gaming and flair bartending are versatile, salable talents that are viable in many other locations. The preponderance of these types of academic specialties in Nevada increases in the southern portion of the state, particularly the Las Vegas Metropolitan Area.

However, there has been a trend in this. Nevada is one of the nation’s fastest growing states, maintaining and further enhancing several more renowned, traditionally-oriented academic specialties in Nevada. An example of such an academically-rigorous discipline is to be found with climate sciences. Many institutions in the state specialize in various aspects of climate research such as atmospheric, ecosystem, and hydrologic sciences. The Desert Research Institute is one such institution participating in interesting environmental research (like seeding clouds) from which international students studying in Nevada may choose.

International students studying in Nevada aren’t at a loss for the rigor and diversity of traditional academia either—in fact, the University of Nevada at Reno boasts a world-renowned English department with several Pulitzer Prize winners on the teaching staff. Moreover, the campus is the operating home of the University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC), a non-profit organization with 39 program locations in 24 countries that facilitates study abroad experiences both through material aid, providing a supportive and communicative network, and through the dissemination of information.

For more information for international students who want to study in Nevada, please see the InternationalStudent.com Study in the USA School Search.

Written by Jenny Frankel

Jennifer is the Director of Financial Services at Envisage International. Jennifer is a graduate of the University of Florida where she holds a Masters in International Business and a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. She has lived and worked abroad in Chile, Costa Rica and London, and traveled extensively in South America, Europe and Asia.

No Responses to “International Students in Nevada”