20 College Rankings to Help You Choose the Right School

Posted on June 24th, 2009 by Jennifer Frankel

Choosing a school as an international student is not easy, as you are never sure what schools are right for you or if the school offering you a place is any good! Luckily, we have a guest post from Karen Schweitzer that lists 20 great resources for you to use online to help you choose the right school. The list not only contains USA schools resources, but also European, Asian and African resources – we hope it helps:

A school shouldn’t be chosen based on where it ranks on any given list; there are many other factors that must be taken into consideration. However, college rankings can give you somewhere to start when you are trying to sort the good schools from the bad. Here are 20 college rankings to help you choose the right school.

World’s Best Colleges and UniversitiesU.S. News and World Report based this ranking of the world’s best colleges and universities on the Times Higher Education-QS World University Rankings. You can see the top universities in the world. You can also customize lists to see the best schools by location and subject.

Academic Ranking of World Universities – This college ranking (PDF) includes the best 500 universities in the world. The ranking is based on academic and research performance.

Top 200 Universities and Colleges in the World – This international college and university ranking lists the top 200 universities and colleges in the world based on web popularity.

Top 100 Universities in the World – QS.com ranked the top 100 universities in the world based on peer reviews, employer reviews, student to faculty ratio, faculty reputation, student diversity, and other essential criteria.

Global MBA Rankings – The Financial Times ranks global MBA programs each year. This list ranks the top 100 schools and offers interactive features to help you compare schools based on value, employment options, and salary expectations.

Best 368 Colleges – This college ranking from The Princeton Review lists the best 368 colleges and includes a detailed school profile for each.

America’s Best CollegesU.S. News and World Report assessed more than 1,400 U.S. schools to create this ranking of America’s best colleges. The ranking includes lists for national universities, liberal arts colleges, business programs, engineering programs, master’s universities, and baccalaureate universities.

America’s Best Graduate SchoolsU.S. News and World Report looked at more than 12,000 graduate programs to develop these lists of the best graduate schools. The rankings include lists for the best business schools, law schools, education schools, engineering schools, science schools, medical schools, and fine arts schools.

Top 100 North American Business Schools – This list from the University of Texas at Dallas ranks the top 100 North American business schools based on research contributions between 2004 and 2008. The list includes schools in the U.S. and Canada.

Top 100 Canadian Universities – This college ranking lists the top 100 universities in Canada based on web popularity.

Top European Universities – QS.com’s ranking of the top European universities includes more than 200 schools located all across Europe.

European Business School Rankings – The Financial Times Ranking of the best European business schools includes 65 schools that offer MBA programs, EMBA programs, and masters programs.

Good University Guide (UK) – This ranking of UK universities lists the best 114 schools based on student satisfaction, facilities, student to faculty ratio, graduate prospects, and other important factors. The ranking is interactive so that you can compare different schools side by side.

Top UK Universities – This list from QS.com ranks the top 50 schools in the United Kingdom. Rankings are based on peer reviews, employers reviews, diversity, faculty honors, and others criteria.

Top Irish Universities – This QS.com list ranks the top Irish universities. The ranking includes seven schools along with stats on how each school measures up against other universities around the world.

Top 200 Asian Universities – QS.com developed this list of the top 200 Asian universities. The rankings are based on a variety of factors, including teaching quality, research quality, internationalism, and graduate employability.

Best Asian and Middle Eastern Universities – U.S. News and World Report based this college ranking on the Times Higher Education-QS World University Rankings. The ranking includes 30 Asian and Middle Eastern schools.

Top African Universities – This college ranking lists the top 100 colleges and universities in Africa based on web popularity.

Top Australian Universities – StudyInAustralia.com created this ranking of the top Australian Universities. The ranking includes eight schools that carry out the bulk of Australia’s research and receive 60 percent of all research funding.

Online College Rankings – The Online Education Database created this list of the best online colleges. Rankings are based on acceptance rate, financial aid, graduation rate, retention rate, student to faculty ratio, and other important factors.

Guest post from Karen Schweitzer, the About.com Guide to Business School. Karen also writes for OnlineColleges.net, an online college resource.

28 Responses to “20 College Rankings to Help You Choose the Right School”

1. Berhanu Says:

Wouly please include direct Scholarship Application forms of the universities?

2. Atabo James Says:

Need accurate information on how to get a very good IT-college in sweden where the accomodation fees is reletively affordable for an African student, intrested in schooling abroad. this infor will do me a whole lot of good. Thank you in anticenpation, God bless.

3. emmanuel moro Says:

i need help on how can i get a scholarship to sweden to study

4. ADESANYA YUSUF SEGUN Says:

Am segun… from Nigeria and i will like to admited as one of your student in you school,and i promise to be one of the best student your school will be produce….and sweden is my dream country to school and i will to hear from the school authority

5. World Ranking Says:

There is another ranking for UK universities – The Complete University Guide.

6. The Ultimate Life Improvement Toolkit: 100 Tips, Tools, and Resources to Improve Your Life Says:

[…] 20 College Rankings to Help You Choose the Right School – Filled with resources for U.S., Asian, African and European schools, this list is an excellent guide whether you’re studying at home or abroad. […]

7. Alex Says:

hello~?
    i would like to go abroad to Canada to study and get a job over there

i consider college to get a job after graduation. so

could i have ranking of employment of after graduation?

Sincerly.

8. Mail Entries Says:

Enjoying your post, thanks!

9. {Important|Valuable} {gift|info} for {anybody|anyone} who {needs|wants} {one way backlinks|backlinks} for no {charge|cost}. {Anyone|Anybody} {need|want} free {one way backlinks|backlinks} for their {blog|webite}? I {thought|figured} I {might|would} {share Says:

Valuable gift for anyone who wants backlinks for no charge. Anybody need free one way backlinks for their blog? I thought I might share some good info I found a little while ago. Free one way backlinks for your website. I have been using this for my websites and it absolutely works super! Just click my name to see what I mean. Not selling anything, it’s totally free of charge and it works.

10. highrankingsseo Says:

Hello, Thanks for posting. I came across your site in aol and I’m glad I found it. I will come back to read more soon.

11. Penni Groceman Says:

Hey I was just roaming the Internet, when I found your site link posted on Google. I think that your websitesite was really attractive and I’m gonna show this to my whole family!

12. medical insurance companies Says:

Try liability insurance or a cafeteria type insurance plan for insuring your casual outside workers or see if your home owners policy would cover it.

13. resor delbetalning Says:

I happen to be writing to make you be aware of what a perfect discovery my cousin’s girl gained checking the blog. She came to find too many issues, most notably what it’s like to possess an incredible helping style to make folks effortlessly learn specific problematic matters. You truly exceeded people’s desires. Many thanks for giving the essential, healthy, edifying and in addition unique guidance on that topic to Sandra.

14. resor Says:

I have to show my thanks to the writer just for rescuing me from such a difficulty. Right after looking out throughout the world-wide-web and meeting tips that were not productive, I was thinking my life was over. Living without the presence of approaches to the difficulties you’ve resolved through this article content is a critical case, and those which may have in a wrong way affected my entire career if I had not come across your blog. Your actual know-how and kindness in dealing with all the pieces was crucial. I am not sure what I would’ve done if I hadn’t discovered such a point like this. I can at this point relish my future. Thanks very much for this expert and results-oriented help. I will not think twice to refer the blog to any person who desires direction about this situation.

15. Military College Programs Says:

Choosing the correct university or college is quite a challenge for any student. This guide makes it easier to make the correct choice. Thank you.

16. Jose Allen Says:

Very well written information. Very informative to anyone who uses it, including myself. Keep up the nice work! Iwill be back to take a look at your posts again soon.

17. Trident University Says:

This is a great list of top universities and colleges. There are so many to choose from and it’s great that you broke it down via country, programs offered etc.

18. Evan Says:

Rankings are always helpful in selecting a school. At the same time however, if you are looking for a school it is best to do some more research and determine that the schools offer the programs you are interested in.

19. Gary Soloveichik Says:

i find your site via yahoo and I’m really glad to find info you provide in your posts. Btw your sites broken using firefox4

20. Job Search Engine for South Africa Says:

Job search and careers in South Africa. Current job vacancies from one source. Find Job near you. Job search made easy. All Employment Ads in one place.

21. about copd Says:

about copd…

[…]20 College Rankings to Help You Choose the Right School « The International Student Blog[…]…

22. gamefly unboxing Says:

I envy your piece of work, regards for all the interesting content .

23. seo tool software Says:

seo tool software…

24. Free Web Directory Annuaire des site Gratuit Says:

Free Web Directory Annuaire des site Gratuit…

25. phonenews Says:

I was very pleased to find this web-site.I wanted to thanks on your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

26. Susan Pletz Says:

Thank you for your own effort on this web site. My mother really loves carrying out research and it is obvious why. Most people learn all relating to the compelling ways you provide precious tips and tricks through the blog and therefore foster response from other people on this concern so our princess is certainly discovering a whole lot. Have fun with the rest of the year. You have been doing a really good job.

27. Online College Directories Help You Find the Right School Says:

[…] You're thinking about going to college or technical school so that you can get a better job and impr…ea seems daunting. And with the recent growth of online universities that are accessible through the Internet, your choices are almost limitless. You can earn your degree from a college on the other side of town or on the other side of the world!How can you efficiently research your college choices? Fortunately, the Internet has made the process much easier. Of course you can do your own searches for programs you want, and visit individual college websites. But that can take time, and you may end up wasting hours poring over endless pages and not finding what you want.The best solution is to use a powerful, convenient, and FREE online directory service. A reputable service will make it easy to find the colleges and programs that you want, and cut through the clutter. It's fast and easy and puts you in control.What to Look For in an Online College Directory When you log onto a college directory service, you'll see a "landing page" that gives you lots of choices. You may see the logos of featured schools, and links to educational articles. What you want is information, and to do that you need to perform a search. The site will be organized so that you can perform searches based on a number of criteria. Here are a few ways you can search.–Campus location. If you want to attend a traditional college, you can select a defined geographical area or ZIP code radius. That way, you can see the colleges that are within travel distance of home or work, or colleges that are located in a city or region that you'd like to study in. For example, if you live in Colorado and want to attend college in Los Angeles, the directory can show you only those colleges in the Los Angeles area. Or, if you need to commute from home, the directory will show you colleges in your area.–Online degrees. If you are interested in distance learning, the directory will connect you to colleges that offer online programs in the subject area that interests you.–Degree type. You can ask the directory to connect you to colleges that offer the degree or program type that you want. These may include adult education programs, certificates, diplomas, associate degrees, bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, even doctorates. For example, if you are interested in earning your Ph.D. in psychology online, you can find the colleges and universities that offer this program.–Schedules. You can find out how the programs are presented and the demands on your time. If you are a working adult and plan to attend on campus, you'll want a program that offers flexible schedules and perhaps classes on weekends or in the evening. If you are researching online programs, there may be milestones or deadlines that you need to meet, but generally you can log on and either get the program material or complete your work on your own schedule.–Financial aid. The online college directory will provide information on which colleges and career schools offer federal financial aid, scholarships, grants, or education loans.–Accreditation. You do not want to get a degree from a "diploma mill." Prospective employers will not be interested in hiring you if you present a degree from an unknown, non-accredited mystery college. The online directory will provide information on a college's accreditation.Compare and Apply The online college directory will allow you to research as many colleges as you need to, at no charge. The best strategy is to assemble a group of three or four, or even more, good prospects. Through the directory website you can contact each one. The schools will either send you additional information or, if you want, they'll contact you and to set up a tour or a visit with an admissions representative. Once you are comfortable with your choices, make your applications. Before you know it, you'll be on your way to a rewarding new career. […]

28. schoolwires Says:

Nice blog here! Also your web site lots up very fast!
    What host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your associate hyperlink on your host?
    I desire my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol