17 Month Extension to OPT

Posted on April 15th, 2008 by Jennifer Frankel

Great news for international students who are studying in the USA on an F1 visa, as the Department of Homeland Security has finally ruled that students can now extend their OPT program for up to 29 months in total. This new ruling allows qualified F1 non-immigrant students to now stay in the USA more than the normal 12 month program.

To be eligible for the new OPT extension, you need to meet the following criteria:
– Currently be participating in a 12-month period of approved post-completion OPT;
– Have successfully completed a degree in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) included in the DHS STEM Designated Degree Program List from a college or university certified by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Student and Exchange Visitor Program;
– Be working for a U.S. employer in a job directly related to the student’s major area of study;
– Be working for, or accepted employment with, an employer enrolled in U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ E-Verify program. E-Verify is a free, internet-based system operated in partnership with the Social Security Administration that helps employers to determine the employment eligibility of newly-hired employees; and
– Properly maintain F-1 status.

You can see the full press release from the Department of Homeland Security by visiting:
http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1207334008610.shtm

8 Responses to “17 Month Extension to OPT”

1. Adeniran Ademola Adedeji Says:

Apart from my data above, I am a graduate of physics electronics from Adekunle Ajasin University, ondo state, Nigeria currently having my NATIONAL YOUTH SERVICE CORP in Cross River State.I will be glad if my application for post graduate in computer scholarship can be granted. Thanks.

2. lazy student Says:

I am a graduate of CS from Alaska University, ondo state, Nigeria currently having my NATIONAL YOUTH SERVICE CORP in Cross River State.I will be glad if my application for post graduate in computer scholarship can be granted. Thanks.

3. kAZI MAFIZUR RAHAMAN Says:

I had completed my Masters in Education (M.Ed) and a four years Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) from Department of Language Education of INSTITUTE OF EDUCATION AND RESEARCH (IER), Dhaka University with a CGPA 3.65 and 3.48 in a 4.00 Scale respectively. My major area of concentration in academic career was teaching language. I then joined at OXFORD INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL as a teacher of Bangla and a class teacher.I worked there for one year. Then I joined at Department of Language Education of INSTITUTE OF EDUCATION AND RESEARCH (IER), Dhaka University as a part time lecturer to teach Bangla and other pedagogical subject. Simultaneously I also joined at the Department of Education of PRIME UNIVERSITY and still working at both the position.

Now I again want to switch my career to the apex institute of CANADA in the sector of Education as a researcher or teacher to furnish my career with the pedagogical knowledge and experience of teaching and educational management with the latest techniques and methodology of teaching. I have an expertise of developing curriculum, making lesson plans and preparing and use of Teaching Learning material.

4. Antony Panama Says:

I just wanted to say that I found your site via Goolge and I am glad I did. Keep up the good work and I will make sure to bookmark you for when I have more free time away from the books. Thanks again!

5. visaeu Says:

that’s great news for students, but still a pain in the ass with all the paperwork involved.

6. social security retirement benefits Says:

social security retirement benefits…

[…]17 Month Extension to OPT « The International Student Blog[…]…

7. anunturi Says:

anunturi…

8. Lithuania Says:

Lithuania…