ESL – English as a Second Language

Posted on May 16th, 2007 by admin

For many students, learning English is the first step in studying abroad. All schools require students to have a certain level of English if you are to be taken as an international student – some schools require the TOEFL, others require the TOEIC. But, whatever your school requires you need to make sure you English is the best it can be!

To help you, there are a number of resources available that offer some great help and advice:

ESL Directory
The ESL Directory provides you with over 1,000 listings of schools from all around the world that provide ESL/ English as a Second Language programs. It costs nothing to use the directory and you can contact schools directly online through the site. This is a great tool if you need to find a school or teacher to help you with your English!

ESL Forum
The ESL Forum provides you with an interactive online forum to ask questions, answer questions and generally meet up with other students who are learning English. What is even better is that ESL Teachers also use the board, so you can ask them questions and get information directly from a teacher if you need assistance!

ESL Podcast
If you have an iPod or mp3 player, then you should also check out the ESL podcast – its packed full of great English Language episodes that you can download onto your iPod and listen and learn. Great if you travel a lot on trains or just to sit back and relax and learn at the same time!

I hope you found this useful – please post any other resources you use to learn English!

Technorati Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “ESL – English as a Second Language”

1. Adam Says:

Great post, I am sure going to subscribe to this blog right away :)! (I run a blog dedicated to education also, well not really like yours since I focus on study skills instead of news…)

Anyway, to answer your question; I don’t really think you can learn English (or any other language for that matter) from websites without actually contributing to the content.

I live in and study in Sweden by the way so English is not my first language. In my opinion, the best way to learn English (from my experience) is by simply engaging in discussion with people who can articulate and speak the language much more fluently than oneself (like you for instance ;)).

In short, I learn English when I blog! Good post, thank you!

2. John Says:

A team of two students from International Islamic University in Malaysia have won the ESL category at the 27th World Universities Debating Championship in Vancouver, Canada, seeing off a challenge from university teams from India, Sweden and Israel.

A member of the winning team, Suhaib Hassan, is quoted as saying that the university “understands the importance of debate in sharpening a student’s skills in critical thinking and communication”.
    Maybe non-native speakers can follow their footsteps.

3. Ruth McEwan Says:

I run an online English language school. People are slow to trust the technology, whereby you can learn another language in real time with English language teachers just like you’re in a real classroom.
    You can see your teacher and classmates and exprience all the interaction that is available to you in a real classroom – virtually. Of course the body language is missing, but the facial expression is there. So learning English online is becoming a reality – where you can converse naturally and also learn more formally.

4. mini Says:

Please tell English Books of 1year 2 year and 3 year as second .For second language.Book,s and Authur name.And the book,s have notes of explnation or not.Even the Panchatantra by (author)Ryder were does the notes find?

5. Serggg Says:

I follow him to serve my turn upon him:we cannot all be masters, nor all masters.Cannot be truly follow’d.

6. ElewerHer Says:

blog.internationalstudent.com – great domain name for blog like this)))

7. lesley Says:

8. Evanee Says:

hi there, I didn’t know where to contact you but your layout was off on firefox and IE. Anyways, i just suscribd to your rss.

9. Shirley Fadei Says:

Great post! I liked the info you contained in it. I would have never found this site if I didn’t find it Googling random things!

10. Babara Seielstad Says:

Very nice post,i absolutely love this blog

11. michael banegas Says:

Response to ESL, English as a second language.

I am a strong believer that educators need to use every resouce available to teach students. This includes technology.

Michael

12. english language school Says:

I just like the helpful info you supply on your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check once more here frequently. I am rather certain I’ll be informed lots of new stuff right right here! Good luck for the following!

13. Michael Says:

I’m a former ESL teacher. I’ve finished my ESL teaching activity and I no longer teach English. But I want to provide learners of English with my valuable resources.

1. I have created a number of articles on mastering various aspects of English and a special list of the most important English learning aids. I consider them more practical and more helpful than many articles for quicker and more effective mastering of English by foreign learners. My articles have been published on a number of websites but they may be of interest to users of your site (learners and teachers of English). Would you like to read them? No need to publish my articles on your site. Or perhaps you could remake my articles with your own wording and publish on your site?
    2. I’ve also gleaned some very helpful articles for both learners and teachers of ESL/EFL from extensive exploration on the Internet that you and many users of your site may be interested in. In particular I discovered and I am especially interested in articles on learning and teaching English grammar, on second language acquisition, on the role and impact of one’s native language when learning and using ESL/EFL, on the issue of translation in learning and practising ESL/EFL, on learning and practising various aspects of English, on development of four language skills (listening comprehension, speaking, reading and writing), on valuable ESL/EFL resources, tips and advice.

14. Ibrahim sory Camara Says:

My name is Ibrahim sory,i live in Guinea -Conakry west Africa i want to learn English language as my second language.But i want a scholaship to continue my education. iam attendig a sierra Internationl School in Soloprimo,Koloma i need your assistance i do’nt have financial to pay my School fees.

15. Bryanna Lindblom Says:

Hi Ibrahim,

Thank you for your interest.

If you would like to see what financial aid options are available, you can check out our international financial aid guide here.

Good luck.

16. Vladimir Says:

Hello! You contact from Albania. My name is Vladimir Biba and I am 26 years old. I have graduated and am a graduate in engineering geo-informatics degree. I also GEOMATICS engineering graduate (master science) at the Faculty of Geology and Mines! I want to major in English because my level is low in English(B1). Do you have school for English? For me I need English for my career. Thank you! Vladimir Biba / Tirana / Albania!

My email. Vladimir_biba@yahoo.com