Why Study Architecture?

Posted on February 29th, 2016 by Sutherland Beever

A female architect hard at work.Are you considering a college degree in architecture, but not sure where the skills and diploma can take your career? Read on for four great reasons to study architecture as an international student!

Architecture is a creative and artful way to make an impact on society. After all, architects build modern homes to fit the needs of growing families, design meeting rooms for the world’s most impactful leaders, and are among the select few that help craft a city’s skyline through the creation of buildings that seem to touch the clouds themselves.

If the impact your work can have on the people of one family, community or city isn’t enough, here are four more reasons to study architecture as an international student:

1. Architecture is the Art of Self-Expression – Each architectural piece is a creative representation of the thoughts and hopes of the designer. Of course it’s important to meet the needs and expectations of your clients, but the overall look, design and feel of your work is generally a result of your own creativity – ensuring this particular career path is exceptionally satisfying.

2. To Affect the World on a Global Scale â€“ Tourists travel across cities, countries and even continents seeking famous pieces of architecture every day. The Great Pyramid of Giza, Big Ben, the Golden Gate Bridge, and the Taj Mahal are just a few world-renowned structures that the world can not only recognize, but more than likely can name the city in which they were built. Even if you don’t ultimately create the next Eiffel Tower or Empire State Building, your works are generally going to be outside, meaning that they will be seen by passerby’s up to 365 days a year and recognized by countless people you will never meet – what an amazing concept!

3. Architecture is a High-Paying Profession – We didn’t put this near the top of our list because hopefully the paycheck isn’t your top incentive when choosing your career, but it is certainly something worth noting. Even though the first three to five years of your career will likely be spent at the bottom of the totem pole as an intern, the more experience you have and the impressive your portfolio, the more padded your wallet will eventually become. Best of all, a lot of top architecture programs for international students offer scholarships to help you get started and internship opportunities further into your degree.

4. For the Hands-On Experience– Though technology innovates the way architecture is done, it is still a job that demands attention to detail and focused work. It is not a data-entry job and generally isn’t a 9-5er either. It takes long hours and expertise to create masterpieces and earn the commission that comes along with it.

Even if you haven’t the faintest clue yet where to study architecture, having a passion to create and bring beauty to the world should never be ignored! Always remember that architecture is more than science and much more than a two dimensional piece of art. It is the harmonious combination of both art and science that will make each structure you create truly special.

Written by Sutherland Beever

Sutherland joined the team in early 2014 after receiving her Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations from the University of North Florida. She has had the opportunity to travel extensively throughout Europe, which instilled an unwavering passion of international travel. This, combined with her strong interest in Marketing, led her to join the Envisage team.

11 Responses to “Why Study Architecture?”

1. fazalakbar Says:

Hello sir
    How are you
    I studed Civil engineering and want to learn moar study in this feld in the USA what should we do

2. Sutherland Beever Says:

Hi,

If you’d like to learn more about studying civil enginering in the US, here’s a great link: http://www.internationalstudent.com/study-engineering/.

Best of luck!

3. khonggiandepaz.wordpress.com Says:

It also serves as a caution from history.

4. russell Says:

I have this great passion for architecture now my question is if in high maths was a bit of a problem can I manage maths in university

5. Taylor Says:

Look, Im forced to study Architecture, and its not a life skill, why cant i find anything against the class, to tell my parents to get me out of the class.

6. Aung Thit Lwin Says:

Hello,
    I’m an Architectural student and I’m almost always busy with projects.I have no time to write poems and to view nature.
    Simetimes I ‘m dissapointed cause if my chose.

7. Abdulkadir Usman Says:

I have HND certificate in civil engineering but not at abroad, can any one help me with a website that upper schoolarship for Nigerians? Plss

8. Phu Nguyen Says:

Hello:

This page should assist in finding scholarships that may be available to you. https://www.internationalstudent.com/scholarships/

Thank you for the comment and we wish you the best.

9. right policy Says:

I reckon something really special in this site.

10. Timothy Arek Says:

Thanks for sharing, by the way.

11. Connor Blay Says:

Thanks for reading, Timothy! We’re glad you liked it. 🙂