Free Tuition for International Students In Germany

Posted on October 15th, 2014 by Bryanna Davis

german uni 176841546If you thought the idea of a free college degree as an international student was impossible- think again. Public universities in Germany are now tuition-free for students, including for international students!

If you’re wondering why Germany is offering such a great deal on a college education, in short, the general consensus of those in Germany is that they feel everyone is entitled to a high-quality education. German Senator, Dorothee Stapelfeldt even stated that

“Tuition fees are socially unjust.”

In 2005 Germany lifted the ban on tuition and fees for higher education, this led to a few colleges charging fees, and many individuals throughout Germany to react negatively. Earlier in the month, the decision to lift the ban was reversed.

The word “free” often raises concern, leaving individuals pondering the quality of the item they’re going to receive without cost. However, Germany remains strong when it comes to having prestigious institutions. In fact, there are six German institutions that made it into the top 100 schools in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings:  Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, Universität Heidelberg, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Freie Universität Berlin, Technische Universität München.

Before you get too excited about free tuition for international students in Germany and start applying to universities throughout Germany, keep in mind that you must be fluent in German. If the chance to have a free education is worth learning or perfecting a new language to you, you can always start learning with a free tool such as the Duolingo app.

Also, if you’re wanting to experience college life via fraternity and sorority life, fitness centers, dorms and a student union- make sure you really look into what life as a student at the German University of your choice is like. More often than not you won’t find any of those items in the university welcome packet.

If you speak German and aren’t too concerned with the extracurricular extras, it might be time to find your passport!

8 Responses to “Free Tuition for International Students In Germany”

1. Dex500 Says:

Unfortunately all that does not help me much as a German if all I want to do is study in the US 🙁

Those extracurricular activities, the community and the foreign country experience are what I am looking for.

I do really hope I will be able to study in the US some day. Thanks for all the work you are doing here to help students all around the world wrapping their head around the complicated process of application in a foreign country.

Carry on.

2. Bryanna Davis Says:

Hi Dex500, thanks for visiting! If you’re interested in studying in the US then you will want to start by finding a school to attend. Our school search allows you to filter and learn more about schools that meet the criteria you need. You can complete the contact form on the school of your interest to get the information you need from schools. Good luck!

3. sibobugingo Says:

how can i get chance to study there iam student at university in rwanda so i wish to continue my study there so help me i have no financial aids or visa card how can i get chance i stusy in geography

4. Bryanna Davis Says:

Hi Sibobugingo,

You will need to find the school that you wish to study at, then apply directly through the school. Good luck!

5. Nebare Nangia Henry Says:

I want to be among the foreign students coming in for free tuition

6. Nebare Nangia Henry Says:

It’s wonderful

7. NOMBUSO MHLONGO Says:

i want to be among the foreign students to study in Germany am from south africa

what are the requirements for financial aid

8. Raman Kashap Says:

Education consultants are often asked this question by students on how to study in Germany for free. It is not really possible to totally make the whole process free but scholarships by DAAD and Erasmus programs are there apart from the German Foundation’s Scholarship Programs. Some are state funded and some are offered by the universities themselves.