Master’s Program Welcomes Sustainability

Posted on April 21st, 2014 by Bryanna Davis

man plantinga tree126504143The New School’s Master’s Program in Environmental Policy Welcomes Sustainability

In a single house, more than 200 students from various departments of The New School were able to cut heating and cooling costs by 90 percent. It was called the EmpowerHouse, and in 2011 it proved that energy-efficient houses can cost a modest $240,000, an achievement that landed them the winning title at the Affordability Contest at the Solar Decathlon. Because of the work of these students, Habitat for Humanity in the DC area began to create more affordable and sustainable homes for Habitat home owners.

EmpowerHouse is just one example of the academic programs at The New School, offering students the opportunity to develop projects and engage in the community. The New School offers a MS in Environmental Policy and Sustainability Management. This program “prepares managers and analysts to develop and direct public and institutional policies that promote ecological and economic sustainability.” With this degree, graduates of this program have gone on to become planners, managers, policy analysts as well as consultants who design environmental policies and work to improve sustainability practices. They have also worked for non-profit organizations, worked with the community on the conservation of scarce resources and have implemented policies in the government. The New School’s MS in Environmental Policy helps students understand the relationship of ecological, financial and social sustainability, allowing them to be prepared in their future careers and projects.

Global climate change, natural resource depletion, financial sustainability and innovative organizational change are a few challenges that international students will be able to confront throughout the program, emphasizing change-management preparation, critical perspectives on institutions, cross-sector collaboration, urban ecology and more. Since the program is located in New York City, international students will have the opportunity to experience environmental policy first-hand and practice their skills at places such as the Tishman Environment and Design Center and the Community Development Finance Lab.

With the ability to create and design projects, implement policies and ideas, and keep track of environmental pressures, international students who study environmental policy at The New School will be equipped with the experience and knowledge needed to succeed in their field. Making the world a better place to live includes efforts from these students, and The New School welcomes those who are ready to discover the progress waiting to be illuminated. You can find more on the New School here.

2 Responses to “Master’s Program Welcomes Sustainability”

1. 【期間限定40%OFF】BBC(ビリオネアボーイズ゠Says:

Wow, wonderful blog structure! How long have you ever been blogging for? you made blogging glance easy. The full look of your web site is fantastic, let alone the content material

2. Anonymous Says:

Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.