Securing a Co-Signer for an International Student Loan

Posted on April 19th, 2014 by Bryanna Davis

runner silhouette 2Finding out you don’t have enough money while going through the study abroad process is a lot like hitting a brick wall during a marathon. Adrenaline is pumping, expectations are high then things come to a sudden halt. Luckily, there are financial aid options that international students can turn to if faced up against this situation, after all scholarships are tapped- the next best option is international student loans.

Most international students applying for a loan will need a co-signer, which can take a lot of work. That co-signer must be a US citizen or permanent resident who has been inside the US for the past two years and has good credit history. Since the co-signer is adding their name to the loan, they will be responsible for re-payment if you fail to re-pay, this means your co-signer is going to have to be someone who has a lot of trust in you. For this reason, finding someone to fill the big shoes of a co-signer is difficult.

To help you in the process of finding a co-signer, International Student Loan hosted a free On Air Google Hangout. If you missed it, you can watch it now! The hangout focused on how you can start the process who to ask to be your co-signer and what impact your co-signer will have on the final terms and conditions of your international student loan. Watching the hangout will give you necessary details that every international student who is applying for a loan needs to know.

Watch the video on how you can secure a co-signer for an international student loan here!

No Responses to “Securing a Co-Signer for an International Student Loan”