The Mobile Music Lab: Recording Arts on Wheels

Posted on March 10th, 2014 by Jenny Frankel

recording arts 164418396When an aspiring recording artist wants to lay down a new track, they might head to the nearest recording studio to test it out. But what if the recording studio came to you? That’s the general concept behind the Mobile Music Lab, a project run by the Delta Music Institute at Delta State University.

Based in Cleveland, Mississippi the Mobile Music Lab journeys all over the state educating students about music, music history, and music production. The centerpiece of the project is a 26-foot bus that features an actual recording studio with state-of-the-art technology inside. Funded by a grant from the US Department of Education, the bus allows students to not only learn about music, but to gain experience recording and producing it. Students are encouraged and guided through the process of creating an original track and even recording a music video.

In addition to the obvious fun and excitement of recording original songs, the Mobile Music Lab also fulfills an important part of Mississippi’s curriculum requirements. Mississippi has a long musical history that forms the foundation of American music and as a state it values this contribution to American culture. Instructors give presentations on the basic musical instruments in Mississippi’s heritage. The acoustic guitar alone provides enough educational material for weeks. The project also teaches about important figures like King of the Blues B.B. King and often travels with local contemporary musicians, such as Keb’ Mo’, who speak to students on their local influences.

When thinking about where to study recording arts, prospective students who are considering a career in music and who are also interested in preserving a certain cultural heritage should look into StudyMississippi. StudyMississippi can help you find a school located in the great state of Mississippi, giving you ties to a long line of musical history.

Written by Jenny Frankel

Jennifer is the Director of Financial Services at Envisage International. Jennifer is a graduate of the University of Florida where she holds a Masters in International Business and a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. She has lived and worked abroad in Chile, Costa Rica and London, and traveled extensively in South America, Europe and Asia.

One Response to “The Mobile Music Lab: Recording Arts on Wheels”

1. {http://www.djcebula.pl|Dj na Wesele Łódź|Dj łódzkie|Dj na wesele} Says:

Hi there, Nice write-up. It has an matter as well as your website throughout world-wide-web explorer, would certainly examination that? For example however is the market head along with a huge section of people will omit your own superb creating due to this problem.