How to Study Abroad

Posted on February 7th, 2014 by Bryanna Davis

airport and luggage 179602867You’ve made up your mind- you’re going to study abroad! Now all you need to do is figure out how to study abroad. Luckily, we have a number of resources available that can help you in this journey.

First, you will want to make sure your parents are comfortable with you studying abroad. You may need to take certain steps along the way that require their assistance like showing proof of funds and finding a great international student insurance health plan. Even the most self-sufficient students will be able to enjoy their studies abroad more when they are able to share their experience with parents that support the decision.

After you’ve received the go-ahead from your parents you will want to sit down and spend some time doing research. Find out if your school has a study abroad program you can go through or if you will need to find an outside study abroad program.  Whether through your school or another program, you will have a list of schools to choose from when it comes to where you’re going to study. While studying abroad through your school can often save you money, you might not have the option to study at the school or country or your choice through your school. If you have your heart set on a certain location that your school doesn’t offer, you will want to explore your outside program options.

After you’ve found your dream school overseas it’s time to find financial aid outlets. Start by finding scholarships, then fill in any gaps with international student loans.

Once finding financial aid has been checked off your list and you’ve been accepted into your dream school abroad- it’s time to tend to travel details like your passport and visa, flight, student discount card and a hostel stay for your first night abroad.

The next step? Relax, and enjoy the anticipation of your exciting journey abroad.

Want more tips on studying abroad? Check out these top 10 study abroad tips.

7 Responses to “How to Study Abroad”

1. Dawnnel Says:

advice to an international student who want to study nursing in the UK without a nursing degree

2. Luis Anesi Says:

I wanted to create you a little bit of observation so as to thank you very much once again relating to the awesome concepts you’ve shown in this article. This has been quite remarkably generous with people like you to deliver publicly all that a few individuals could have offered as an e book in order to make some dough on their own, most notably seeing that you could possibly have tried it in the event you decided. These thoughts as well worked to be a great way to recognize that other people online have a similar passion much like mine to know great deal more in terms of this matter. I am certain there are some more pleasurable situations up front for people who discover your blog.

3. Siddhartha Mehra Says:

I am a father to a 21 year old daughter. She has been asking our permission to let her study Creative Writing in an university in UK but we are a little apprehensive about it. While finances can be managed, we are a little concerned about her safety. How do we ensure ourselves that sending her abroad will be positive decision for our daughter?

4. Bryanna Davis Says:

Hi Siddhartha,

That’s a great question! Unfortunately her safety can’t be guaranteed anywhere, however, there are a few things you can do to try to ensure she is as safe as possible. You will want to start by doing research- check the statistics on both community and campus crime. Also, visit the school to get a feel for the environment, and schedule a meeting with school officials to get more information on what safety measures are being taken around campus. Good luck!

5. Anonymous Says:

It’s remarkable to go to see this web page and reading the views of all colleagues regarding this article, while I am also eager of getting know-how.

6. Anonymous Says:

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all of us you really know what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally seek advice from my website =). We can have a link change contract between us

7. Anonymous Says:

This post is worth everyone’s attention. Where can I find out more?