The Evolving Music Industry

Posted on October 21st, 2013 by Jenny Frankel

djspinningAA042751Music is always changing. The sounds that were popular just a decade ago seem distant to us now. In order to keep up with the changes, the evolving music industry must make necessary adjustments. Everyone is familiar with the usual changes in music, such as new trends in style and genre, but the music business itself must also change to keep up with not only new tastes, but new technology. Add in the fact that music trends change in different directions in different places in the world, and you have a constantly evolving music industry where creative people trained in the dynamic field of recording arts are in demand.

The music business in the US is a microcosm for the international music scene. The consolidation of the big record labels and the corresponding rise of independent labels have led to some major shifts in the industry. Instead of just physical CDs, the music business in the US has switched focus to digital music distribution and live music. In 2012 digital music sales topped physical sales for the first time ever. This has caused the music industry to rethink how it produces music, focusing on how it sounds coming out laptops and earbuds. New emphasis on live music has created a new set of standards for performance entertainment where artists want their audiences to get the best possible multimedia experience.

Alongside these changes the unstoppable wave of new technology has expanded the possibilities for what recording artists can do with sound. The evolving music industry is no longer limited to the confines of a well-controlled recording studio. Cheaper, more portable, and more advanced recording equipment has opened up the entire world as a soundstage where high-quality music can be streamed instantly over the Internet.

People who study recording arts are in a great position to jump into the evolving music industry. Programs in recording arts in the US are fully tuned-in the dynamic nature of the industry, and hands-on experience with the music business in the US opens a world of career opportunities to understand and keep up with a fast-paced field.

Written by Jenny Frankel

Jennifer is the Director of Financial Services at Envisage International. Jennifer is a graduate of the University of Florida where she holds a Masters in International Business and a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. She has lived and worked abroad in Chile, Costa Rica and London, and traveled extensively in South America, Europe and Asia.

No Responses to “The Evolving Music Industry”