Why Study Game Art in the US

Posted on September 23rd, 2013 by Bryanna Davis

computerdrawingimsis124-001There are many reasons to study game art in the US, however, one of the best is that you get to work in a fun and growing field. As the world of video gaming is constantly growing, game art in the US offers numerous new work opportunities. A career in game art entails working as an artist who creates new games, gaming characters and tests the games. Career options for international students with game art degrees include level designers, design directors, quality assurance testers, 3-D modelers, and creative directors. The International Game Developers Association reports that gaming visual artists with 1-2 years of experience earn an average salary of $58,500. However, studying game art is by no means an easy path to a growing and well-paying field. Game artists work hard hours with constant deadlines and must be experts on art, computer technology, mathematics, and design.

One drawback for those who decide to study game art in the US is that a degree in game art does not open doors outside of the world of game design. So although the world of game design is constantly growing and financially rewarding, an international student who obtains a degree in game art but does not become an expert in her field is likely to find herself competing with other more competent artists without the ability to find work in other fields. International students, therefore, who want to study game art in the US should carefully look over their degree options. Make sure to attend a university that provides students not just with the knowledge of game art, but extensive experience in the production and methods of producing game art. Employers are especially interested in game artist with significant experience, so international students should take that fact into account.

It is essential that a student who studies game art become adept at all aspects of the field including design, mathematics, and art. Master’s degrees in game art are available, but what is most important to employers is experience. The cost of a graduate degree in game art is likely only to be worthwhile for an international student if that program provides significant game art experience both inside and outside of the classroom, including internships. Currently, game artists are likely to find themselves secure in their field, as it is constantly growing, assuming they are excel at it.

No Responses to “Why Study Game Art in the US”