Carry Your Memories Home

Posted on September 28th, 2013 by Bryanna Davis

postcardwriting86542415Studying in a different country is an exciting experience- one that needs to be documented so you are able to remember it long after the once fresh memories fade. Many students who study abroad don’t keep a journal because they claim it’s too time consuming or they don’t enjoy writing. If you’re included in this bunch, here are a few alternate ways that you can carry your memories home and hold onto them for years.

The Journal Shortcut

Instead of spending hours writing pages and pages of each moment- break it down. Spend five minutes at the end of each day or week and briefly write down a couple of sentences that explain what you experienced. By the end of your semester or year you will have a nice compilation of entries!

Snail Mail

A good way to keep in contact with those you love back home and have a way to carry your memories home is through post cards. They only require a short message and always have a postmark to help you remember where you sent it from. Make sure you ask the recipient of the post cards to keep each of them until you return.

Start a Collection

If you refuse to write down your experience abroad start a collection instead. With each new experience you have to make sure you obtain an item that can spark a memory of that specific moment. It might be a travel ticket stub, a pressed flower, a seashell or something you purchase like a t-shirt or piece of jewelry.

Make a Photo Journal

After each trip pick out the best photos that you’ve acquired and print them out. While having digital prints of every single photo is nice to have, you more than likely won’t search through thousands of photos after your trip. Choose the best few from each trip and make a photo album.

While studying abroad you may think you could never forget moments like those you’re experiencing. Just to be on the safe side and so you can share your journey with others, you might want to have a back up plan when it comes to how you carry your memories home.

4 Responses to “Carry Your Memories Home”

1. Chad Biermeier Says:

Do you have any suggestions on how to help students fend of homesickness? Some colleges lose students who study abroad for years because of that homesickness. Any ideas?

2. Bryanna Lindblom Says:

Hi Chad,

Yes, we sure do. You can find more on how to handle being homesick here. Please feel free to pass it along as a resource!

3. Chad Biermeier Says:

Thanks for your response! The information was very helpful.

4. Ronald C. Herd II Says:

9/30/2013

Thanks for this timely article…I am most definitely a photojournalist type of person…The advent of the internet in particular social media outlets such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram has made sharing memories and uploading photo albums and videos oh so very easy…I think from an educational point of view documenting one’s life experience would be beneficial to folks living now as well as for future generations to come…Really people in this day and age don’t have any good excuses not to document their journeys to show and tell…