International Students in Nebraska

Posted on August 7th, 2012 by Jenny Frankel

Omaha is Nebraska’s largest city and is the nation’s 42nd largest city with a population of 427,872.

International students who want to study in Nebraska will find that over five higher learning institutions are located in this bustling city of commerce including the University of Nebraska, Nebraska Methodist College, Clarkson College and Grace University.

Colleges and universities aren’t the only thing located in this city. Five out of five of Nebraska’s Fortune 500 companies are located in Omaha. Fortune 500 companies are 500 of the largest industrial corporations in the United States published in an annual list by Fortune magazine. The five Berkshire Hathaway, Union Pacific, ConAgra Foods, Peter Kiewit Sons’, and Mutual of Omaha Insurance are based in Omaha. These companies have a combined revenue of over $180 million. Berkshire Hathaway is ranked 7 on the Fortune 500 list.

A plethora of museums in Omaha await the international student who loves art or history. The Durham Museum is an art deco railroad station with photographs, a theater and old railroad cars. El Museo Latino is the first museum dedicated to Latino art and history in the Midwest. Joslyn Art Museum is Nebraska’s largest art museum.

Lauritzen Gardens, Omaha’s Botanical Gardens, showcases plants from all seasons. Within the urban environment lies an oasis with many exhibits. A Victorian garden combines English and Victorian Styles. A prairie-like exhibit is filled with wildflowers and seven regional plant communities. There is also a woodland trail, streams and waterfalls.

For more nature, international students in Nebraska might want to visit the Omaha Zoo which includes exhibits on Madagascar, a Gorilla Valley, and aquarium. It also has an IMAX theater.

The Omaha Old Market is worth a stroll down. Street performers play music and a variety of shops, restaurants, antiques, pubs and coffee shops are available for students to unwind in after a week of studying.

Written by Jenny Frankel

Jennifer is the Director of Financial Services at Envisage International. Jennifer is a graduate of the University of Florida where she holds a Masters in International Business and a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. She has lived and worked abroad in Chile, Costa Rica and London, and traveled extensively in South America, Europe and Asia.

5 Responses to “International Students in Nebraska”

1. Nirere Says:

I want ur help for appling for scholarship

2. Rembert Says:

I am highly interested in these programs.

3. Rusanganwa Says:

your programs seem to be interesting .i would like to knwow some how someone can apply.please mail me

4. Harelimana Says:

I am a Rwandan citizen I have just finished High school,then

5. Harelimana Aloys Says:

I am a Rwandan citizen I have just finished High school ,then I am interested in ESL,therefore I am applying for Scholarships.
    Thanks,
    Harelimana Aloys