Top 10 U.S. Universities in 2012

Posted on June 9th, 2012 by Apinant Hoontrakul

According to the U.S. News ranking of colleges, the top 10 national universities in the United States are not a surprise to many people and includes world famous universities.  International students who are looking to attend the most prestigious schools, here are the top 10 U.S. universities in 2012 according to U.S. News.

1. Harvard University– This Ivy League school is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts which is right outside of Boston. Learn more about study in Massachusetts.
  2. Princeton University– This is another Ivy League school, but is located in Princeton, New Jersey. Famous alumni from this university include Michelle Obama (First Lady of the U.S.) and Eric Schmidt (businessman).
    Learn more about study in New Jersey.
  3. Yale University– Also an Ivy League university, Yale is located in New Haven, Connecticut. Learn more about study in Connecticut.
    Learn more about study in Connecticut.
  4. Columbia University– Located right in New York City, students at this Ivy League school can experience one of the most diverse cities in the world.
    Learn more about study in New York.
  5. California Institute of Technology (Caltech)– The first school on our list that is located on the west coast of the United States! Located in Pasadena, California, this university is famous for science and engineering and nearly a quarter of the students here are international students.
    Learn more about study in California.
  6. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) – Located near Harvard University and just across the river from Boston; MIT has a large number of international students making up over 25 percent of the total student population.
  7. Stanford University – Located in Stanford, California, which is about 30 miles from San Francisco. Famous graduates include Tiger Woods (golfer) and Herbert Hoover (former U.S. President).
  8. University of Chicago– Located in the Windy City of Chicago, Illinois; this university’s famous graduates include John Ashcroft (U.S. Attorney General) and Milton Friedman (Nobel Prize recipient)
    Learn more about study in Illinois.
  9. University of Pennsylvania (UPenn)– Yet another Ivy League school, UPenn is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Famous alumni from this university include William Henry Harrison (former U.S. President) and Donald Trump (businessman/TV personality).
    Learn more about study in Pennsylvania.
  10. Duke University– This school is located in Durham, North Carolina. A few of the university alumni include Richard Nixon (former U.S. President) and Melinda Gates (co-founder of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation).
    Learn more about study in North Carolina.

These top 10 U.S. universities listed consist of private institutions with tuition fees that are very expensive for students whether they are from the US or other countries. International students on a budget wanting to attend schools that are located in a more expensive urban setting, will also want to take in consideration the cost of living.

While these universities provide an excellent education, international students should consider which university will provide the most value after graduation and also fit their needs in terms of cost, the type of degree the student is seeking, location, diversity, etc. Many high quality colleges and universities are available in the United States; visit our U.S. School Search page to find the one that is right for you.

3 Responses to “Top 10 U.S. Universities in 2012”

1. Roatha Thy Says:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to tell about my obstacle of getting US student Visa in Phnom Penh Embassy, during my parents can provide me to go on my knowledge. I feel very depression in my life.

Regard,

thy_roatha@yahoo.com

2. Bryanna Lindblom Says:

Hi Roatha,

Thank you for your comment. I’m sorry to hear that your visa has you feeling down. You might want to look here for tips regarding your visa and immigration. Best of luck!

3. Titus Says:

Looking for a freelance writer? Just E-mail me for quality papers (sutit83@yahoo.com)