International Student Essentials for 2010

Posted on January 5th, 2010 by Jennifer Frankel

With the new year now upon us, 2010 already looks to be another big year for international education. As we reported in our Financial Aid Blog, 2009 saw record numbers in the USA for international students with a large 8% increase in the numbers from the previous year. With the worldwide recession and the recent tightening of air security some think that students could be discouraged from studying abroad – but we at InternationalStudent.com believe strongly that, with ongoing government initiatives, the support of the international education community and a little push from us, the overall numbers will continue to grow!

The financial scenario for international students has changed over the past two years, mainly due to the recession which has had a large impact on the availability of financial aid and international student loans. We’ll address the current loan situation below. There are also exciting new resources available to students, new technology and social networks, that were not available to students previously.

The purpose of this post is to provide students with some guidance for 2010, highlighting some changes and pointing out valuable resources to consider for the year ahead.

International Financial Aid

The good news is that loans are still available to international students in the US, and for US students studying abroad.   As always, a US co-signer is required.  You can apply for up to the total cost of education, minus any other aid you receive. Visit International Student Loan for more information on loans available to international students.

The bad news – interest rates and underwriting criteria have gone up (meaning you’ll pay more in interest, and you’ll need a co-signer with really good credit). Also direct to consumer loans are no longer available, meaning your school must certify the fact and the amount of your loan each year, so there is a lot less flexibility in the amount you can apply for and the speed with which you can get your loan.  There was abuse in direct to consumer loans, but they worked well for international students because of their flexibility and because international students have less resources in the US to fall back on.

Scholarships and other aid are still available, although some have been cut back, so you’ll need to start early to research and apply for scholarships.

So funding an education as an international student in 2010 and beyond will require even more initiative than it has in the past, but it remains quite doable. See our 2010 international student financing overview to get started on a plan.

Social Media

It could be argued that social media was the “buzz word” of 2009 – sites like Twitter and Facebook really came into the mainstream and began to be embraced by both individuals and companies from all corners of the world. For international students, sites like these are a great way to connect with fellow students – for example the International Student Facebook Fan page now has nearly 1,000 fans and you can talk to each other, start discussions, ask us questions and find other students who are in the same boat as you! These social media sites can also be used to locate things like scholarships that people post, and Twitter is a great resource for getting up to the minute relevant information. Check out our posts on Twitter for International Students and Using Twitter to find Scholarships for more information.

Keeping in Touch

For all international students, one of the most important aspects of traveling and studying around the world is keeping in touch with your friends and family – this can not only avoid problems with home sickness but also for your own safety. Traditionally the advice was to get a phone card so that you can make cheap calls from around the world, but as technology changes, things like netbooks are very cheap and mobile phones can now be taken around the world and as long as you use them correctly you can keep in touch wherever you are for little or no cost. If you can travel with a laptop or netbook, then check out our VOIP section on free Skype calling. If you do take your mobile phone, be careful not to get hit with high roaming charges which still exist when you leave your home country – you can get around this by changing out your sim card and our article on sim cards should help explain this.

Staying Healthy

With New Year’s resolutions fresh on our mind, staying healthy should be a priority for all international students.  Simple things like getting enough sleep can make a tremendous difference in our outlook on the day and its challenges, and help keep a healthy balance for body, mind and spirit. The prevalence of the H1N1/ Swine Flu virus has also subsided a little bit and although it may not be as widespread as it once was, you should still do all you can to avoid infection. A great post that gives some useful help and advice on staying healthy is available titled “H1N1 not as severe as first thought”

Once again have a very happy and healthy 2010!

21 Responses to “International Student Essentials for 2010”

1. Namrata Shinde Says:

It was very useful information. Thank you for it.

2. International Student News – Issue 131 « The International Student Blog Says:

[…] International Student Blog « International Student Essentials for 2010 (Previous Post) (Next […]

3. lawrance michael mremi Says:

hi,thanks for those information,my intenssion is to study master in public health any where,so please could you assist me to have also financial support to attend the course!

4. farinaz Says:

How can i find help for writing a good letter of intent/motivation. Thanking you

5. moses c nwko Says:

please i need full details on financial aid for international students from africa, eg canada please mail me your form scholarship, very urgent

moses c nw

6. Study abraod Says:

It is so much important information for who looking for studying abroad.

7. Ms. Mwanaisha Mshana Says:

I am a lady with MA (Sociology), BA (Soc. Scie.), P/G (Public Policy)and Diploma (Teaching).

I would be very grateful to get some information on Full/Scholarship for international Students from Africa.

Also, I would be very much pleased if you will provide me with adequate and detailed information on Institutions/Universities in USA or Canada which could offer me admission for PhD Program. If forms are provided for financial aid or funding please send me through my email address address.

Please, for any response use this email me.

with thanks
    Mshana, M.

8. Wogish W. Says:

10Q for your information. Please send me the addresses of financial aid organizations for full scholarship in USA ,Canada and Europe for Post graduate study in Finance or Business Management.

With best regards.

9. Ousmane Ciss Says:

je voudrais venir étudier aux états unis pourriez vous m’aider a obtenir une bource et une préinscription

10. kasibnte joseph Says:

Hello
    Let me hope that you’re doing well, with me things are not moving on
    well. Hii dear I found your email from the internet and I have
    decided to write to you. Am Joseph by names aged 17yrs Ugandan by
    nationality, my hobbies are football. Reading novels and going to
    school. So friend am not okay with terms of school fees so I request
    you kindly if possible to do me a favour and you pay for me some
    school fees because my parents both died so I live with my young
    mother who is not able to pay for me some fee. So I have a friend I
    used to study with when I was at school when my father was still
    around and told me to try in pen pals to see weather I will get some
    one kind who will help me since I have no body to do it for me because
    he also has a pen pal who pays for him some school fees that’s why he
    told me also to try. I stopped in a high class s.3 in 2008.
    Thanks dear I love your kindness.
    Yours faithfullyJ
    Joseph

11. Noureen Says:

thanks for sharing this information. i want to do MBA from abroad can u plz guid mein how can i apply?

12. Dinara Mamanova Says:

How can I recieve the pathwerld for show the scholarship if I registered befor.

13. Fermina Acocella Says:

I am so happy for the great wordpress blog. I say thanks for your Site. I probably make a bookmark from my website. diet expert

14. Shayari Says:

Going through your web site gives me a chance to recall why I enjoy reading things with so much thoughts. It is good to know that there are still great bloggers out there that can put fun into knowledgable info. Thank you for your shares and eagerness to share your opinions with us.

15. Custom Software Developers Says:

As a blog reader, I am always on the search for content that are both awesome and worthwhile to digest and I must say your blog passed my criteria. Thank you so much for the wonderful content you have created! Will be coming back soon!

16. atlanta junk removal Says:

If you are always busy to do your own cleaning, the Atlanta junk removal services is the best option to keep your home clean.

17. luke jaten Says:

Such a cool article. Thank you for the time you put into this

18. chantelle DeCal Says:

Thank you very much for sharing this resource. I was wondering when the information for 2011 will be available.

19. Yuette Reining Says:

Pretty nice article. I simply came by your weblog and needed to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your posts. Any method, I’ll be subscribing to your feed and in addition I hope you put up again quickly!

20. home loans calculator Says:

Considerably, this post is often the sweetest with this notable topic. I harmonise together with your conclusions and can thirstily appear toward your incoming updates. Saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for that phenomenal clarity in your writing. I’ll directly grab your rss to remain informed of any updates. Admirable work and much success in your company dealings!  Please excuse my poor English as it’s not my first tongue.

21. photogarphy Says:

Student loans really helps you to get your higher education. One of the best benefit of it is the fact that multiple loans can be melted down into one master loan. This saves frustration, reduces the risk of missing a payment and actually improves your credit score. And it reduces your monthly payment.