International Students – Get Social!

Posted on August 4th, 2009 by Jennifer Frankel

With the development over the past few years of new media and social networking sites, there is a lot to keep on top of and it is not easy to know what is the latest and greatest trend that you should be doing – such as twittering or facebooking. For International Students, it can be even more overwhelming and the most important thing to remember is what you are trying to accomplish.

You can sign up to Bebo, Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, My Space…..and any number of sites that offer social features for you to upload and interact with others – but at the end of the day, you need to work out what is best for you. At International Student, we of course focus on helping students study around the world and provide a wealth of information, advice, products and services to help you – so our take on social networking is what can help you achieve your final goal = Studying Abroad!

We concentrate our efforts on Facebook, Twitter and our Forums – so will focus on these main three here, but if you have other sites you use that work well leave a comment below.

Facebook
It is now the largest social networking site online, and its a great way to catch up with old friends, keep up-to-date with everyone and generally interact with people who you may not otherwise see on a daily basis. For International Students, Facebook also represents a great way for you to interact and talk with fellow students and learn from each other. Fan Pages and Groups are the best way to do this – you can join any number of study abroad, financial aid, international student group and fan pages and post messages asking questions, join in discussions about topics and generally interact. Its a feature that is popular, but often not used that much by students.

Our group and fan pages offer this – so join and try out:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2254670655
http://www.facebook.com/internationalstudent

Twitter
Many people seem to think that Twitter is a “fad” and will not stand the test of time – that is still to be seen. But, what you cannot deny is that Twitter offers a great way to find information and ask questions. Many of the people who are on Twitter are active and so if you post something or ask a question they will more than likely respond. For example, do you have an immigration question? Type it into Twitter and you will see a whole host of immigration attorneys and sites who are twittering and may be able to help you. Likewise check out our previous post on using Twitter to find scholarships.

For more information about Twitter, please check out our “How To Guide” and if you join, please follow us @intstudent

Forums
Forums are nothing new, and have been around longer than many of these newer social sites – but we have included them here because they equally offer a great way to get advice, help and opinions on a whole range of topics. The International Student Forum, for example, has moderators such as immigration attorneys, international student advisers and recruitment agents who monitor and post response. There a many forums available, and a simple google search will bring up the main ones that you can try.

With all of these main “Social Sites”, the idea is to get active – post messages, answer other student inquiries with experiences you have had and share your knowledge and advice. You can start here – if you have a facebook group, fan page, twitter follower or forum that you use regularly or want to share with everyone else – post a comment on this post!

The more social you get, the more you can all help each other out!

27 Responses to “International Students – Get Social!”

1. Issue 126 – International Student News « The International Student Blog Says:

[…] International Student Blog « International Students – Get Social! (Previous Post) (Next […]

2. awa sokhna Says:

i want to find a school. so as to follow my studies abroad.please help me

3. Thessayist Says:

Education is a tool which provides individuals the power of knowledge and rationale to think critically and logically.

4. Ian Says:

Which school are you looking for abroad.

domain names for sale

5. buyclomido Says:

Is not spam, it is only my commercial offer. Sorry if i mistake of topic!

Buy Clomid – Best testimonials. Buy now. Satisfaction is guaranteed.
    Best price for brand and generic medications.
    From $0.60 per item. Free Airmail shipping for Clomid 100mg 90 tabs and save $135 on order!

6. Jane | Dubai Jobs Says:

Social networking is a very essential today. But one must be really careful about facebooks & all stuff. Usage should be in proper moderate way.

7. Rica | How to Make a Resume Says:

Well social networking sites not only help finding old friends but also help in derieving information by getting associated with large communities or groups

8. issa konate Says:

bonjour je suis étudiant international et je voudrais obtenir une aide financière pour continuer mes études aux Etats unis.veuillez agréer ma demande

9. Monica | Resume Says:

Really it’s very important to maintain a social networking online site, lots also provides great help to update you knowledge and also keep in touch with your old friends.

10. Jen | Banking Jobs Says:

Thank you for the information. It is true that social sites today help in building network required to get a better understanding changing scenarios.

11. learn english online Says:

Yeah I totally agree. Social networking sites are helpful tools in learning. these days, it’s really hard not to have one because it lets you get updates from friends. 🙂

12. Car insurance claims >> http://onlinecarinsuranceclaims.com/ Says:

[… – blog.internationalstudent.com is another good source of information. Car insurance claims [… –

13. DJ Accurato Says:

Which networks do you use and why?! Are there any differences between the countries?!

14. i would hate to be you Says:

Hey man. Sending this from a Mobile. thanks! very helpful post!! like the template btw 😉

15. RSS Jobs Says:

I like your style, the fact that your site is a little bit different makes it so interesting, I get fed up of seeing same-old-same-old all of the time. I’ve just stumbled this page for you 😀

16. usability design pennsylvania Says:

Keep it up, I’m really digging these long posts, lately I have more and more time to read through your blog and I am just loving it!

17. Pointer Men’s Basketball Says:

Maybe you should make changes to the post subject International Students – Get Social! The International Student Blog to more better for your content you make. I enjoyed the post however.

18. josue Says:

i want a scolarship . I haven’t many money

19. Kimberly Reddicks Says:

Domains are great fun, its like real estate and domains should be part of everyone’s investment portfolio.

20. insurance compare Says:

facebook started out in a university, so it is only fitting

21. pinky Says:

hi sir this is pinky from pakistan sir plz can u tell me about the new policy of visa in uk i am hear recently that its too dificullt for girl live in uk for study can u told me how much truth in this plz plz help me and told me about that i am higherly greatfullllllllll to u

22. chinni Says:

Hi sir,i would like to change my course in UK.i need to extend my visa.i came here 1 year back.is it possible for changing college and getting visa in UK.I heared that from April 6th onwards Embassy rules might be some changes.this is any effect for my extending VISA.PLZ PLZ snd ur information.’m waiting for ur response…

23. san diego property inspection Says:

I heard a statistic just today that workers spend 20% of their time while at their office jobs messing around with Facebook and Twitter. Talk about a time waster!

24. subvention ville de quebec Says:

Que vous souhaitez obtenir $100 ou $100, 000, ne manquez pas l’occasion de profiter des subventions et prêts offerts par le gouvernement. Savoir où et comment soumettre une demande peut être un avantage véritable.

25. School Says:

I just could not depart your website prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard info an individual provide to your visitors? Is gonna be again continuously in order to investigate cross-check new posts

26. read more Says:

read more…

[…]International Students – Get Social! « The International Student Blog[…]…

27. buy food online Says:

buy food online…