How do I unlock my phone?

Posted on February 15th, 2006 by admin

A question that I am constantly getting from students that travel around the world is “How do I unlock my phone?”. To some of you this may not make much sense, but essentially what the person is asking is how can I use my mobile phone around the world when I travel!

Most of the world is on a GSM network, which means that all you need to do is have a service provider for the country you are visiting, and you can make local calls and save lots of $$. For example, when I travel to the USA I take my T-Mobile Sim card with me and swap the sim cards around so I dont get hit by roaming rates!

Most providers lock the phones they give you to their network and in the UK (and I believe the USA) they have to provide you with your phones unlock code if you request it. Obviously, some take longer than others and they make you jump through hoops to get it.

But all is not lost, there are other options. The first one is to check that you phone is actually locked and the best way to do this is to ask one of your friends who is on another network if you can try their sim in your phone. If it works, your phone is unlocked, however if it asks for a code – it is locked.

If it is locked, there are numerous companies who can unlock it and your best bet is to simply google it:
phone unlocking – Google Search

Hope this helps you all

9 Responses to “How do I unlock my phone?”

1. StudentloanNetworker Says:

If you have a Motorola phone, there’s also a software kit called Motorola Phone Tools which will let you mess with the firmware of your phone at the low level. Fun to use, very powerful, and as the expression goes, with great power comes great responsibility.

2. Jamie tonkin Says:

If you do have a T-Mobile or Unlimited phone remember to check out http://www.UnlimitedSim.com . You can get unlimited nationwide calling on the T-mobile network for a flat rate of just $54.95.

There is also no contracts and no credit checks so it is perfect for International students visiting the states.

3. Kim Ronan Says:

Hi there,

I too have the same problem with my iPhone. That was never fixed. I had to buy another international cell phone to make calls to my parents. Please let me know, if you come with some solution.

-Kim

4. efrem Says:

i rely want learning in out side of Ethiopia.

5. efrem Says:

VERY GOOD

6. iphonecases Says:

Just right using this write-up, I just feel this website would like considerably more consideration. I’ll perhaps possibly be yet again to understand much more, appreciate your which details.

7. ipad 2 Says:

A formidable write about, I recently given this on top of the co-worker who had previously been doing a little assessment during this. And he truth be known acquired me morning meal caused by I came across them to get the pup.. giggle. And so permit me to reword that: Thnx for your deal with! However yeah Thnkx for spending time to talk about this, I absolutely think powerfully about it and also adore understanding excess on this topic. When potential, as you grow competence, could you head bringing up-to-date your blog post to comprehend points? It’s incredibly great for myself. Big flash up due to this site submit!

8. Sarah Brown Says:

Hello I was wondering if you can put sim cards in an Iphone was looking to get one but don’t want to deal with the hassels locked into one countries plan but would like to travel international.

9. Marx Bredin Says:

Hello, I have Iphone 4G SU ( Bought it when Iphone 4 Came First time on America )now i’m in Indonesia. I’ve unlock this Iphone ( without Gevey ) and already jailbreak it. How to upgrade to OS 6? , cause many programs need newest OS to run. I’ve download custom IPSW OS 6 for Iphone AT & T. But i worry to upgrade that, cause i don’t know how to unlock that. My Baseband 01.59.00 … PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME … ?